Coloured Fluorescent Lighting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help me source these tubes.
I am looking for coloured fluorescent lighting tubes, in a sort of jazzy, fluorescent/illuminous shade of blue or purple approx 30 -40cm long and 50-60cm long.
Any Suggestions, much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
do you mean ultra violet lights like
20609i0.jpg

these ?

they make things (particularly white) flouress (not sure of spelling)

Breezer, I would not recommend using Ultrviolet lamps in normal fittings, they have a habit of causing eye damage when looked at and are NOT designed to be used for general lighting purposes.

There are coloured Flouresecent lamps available, but they are VERY expensive. The cheaper way is to buy specially made coloured tubes that are designed to slip over the tube in question.

They come in a range of colours, but I have never see them for sale outside wholesalers.

i was only suggesting that they may be the ones, i didn't say they were, also they are quite coomon in clubs, which iw what i presume the poster wants them for

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
i was only suggesting that they may be the ones, i didn't say they were, also they are quite coomon in clubs, which iw what i presume the poster wants them for

No problem, the ones used in clubs are only 50% UV lamps, they are very low power so that they do not have harmful effects.

These too are quite expensive.

I wonder if he intends them for a horticultural project? :D

:LOL: Hi Everyone. Many thanks for the replies. Breezer, you were pretty much spot on with what I am looking for.
Just to give a little more detail as to what I want these lights for, so anyone out their can possibly help. As I noticed the post about the U.V Lights and Eye problems.
The lights would be used to create an Ambient Night Lighting effect in our kitchen.
I intend to locate the lighting under our row of base cabinets with the lighting directed to the rear/wall, and on top of the wall cabinets also directed to the rear/wall.
Would the U.V lights be O.K. in this situaution.
What about the coloured outersleeves, does anyone know of a retail outlet?

Many Thanks

Harmudge.

harmudge said:
What about the coloured outersleeves, does anyone know of a retail outlet?
Your local disco shop normally sell them as they use it for colour lights.They come in difference colour transparent sheet size and you can make one into a tube and slide over it the fluorescent lighting tubes BUT before you do,check with the electrician here that's safe to do so,I can't see any problem as they're very low heat lighting.

Many Thanks, Masona.
I would never had thought about going down the Disco Shop route.

Best Wishes

Harmudge. :D :D

Hi harmudge.
After reading your post I saw some flourescent lights in a shop in Bury Lancashire (Victor Wright) in various colours.
They were £38 for 4ft and £32 for 2 ft.
Manufacturer was ' Fitzgerald'
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Order some CONGO BLUE filters (tube type) from Lee Filters (a theatre lighting colour gels company)

They com in the standard neon lengths. CONGO is VERY dark, and will give a "night light" feeling, with very limited UV content. If you want UV, you can blue specific bulbs, but they are not advised for prolongue exposure, and can also have effects on certain foods amoungst other things!!

Many thanks to kimba & mandate. I have looked at both sites, and both supply pretty much what I am looking for.

Best Wishes

Call me a****y retentive, but the correct spelling is

fluoresce

Are you sure on the spelling, I know of a guy who spells it 'flouorescent, couldn't be you by any chance?

proper filter sheet (not to be confused with kids colored celophane) is routingly fitted to theatre spots which run at 2K or more

so it should be perfectly safe on almost any light bulb type

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back