colouring render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I've been buildinga brick BBQ that I intend to render to make it a bit more 'orgainic' in style . . I want to add some colour to this render and see there are dyes readily available. What I can't discover is the quantity of dye needed. Anyone got any experience of using these dyes? They seem to come in 250 g packs - not very much!

I'm guessing the total surface area I'd be rendereing wouldn't be more than 5 m square, and I want it a fairly rich terra-cota colour - any tips as to how much dye I'd need if I was to render a 10 mm coat all over?

thanks!

Huey

Sponsored Links
You could try the liquid stains often used for mortar (bricklaying) Most builders merchants will do them.

Cant see any reason why you cant put it into a render mix.

You could use a polymer modified render for your final coat with a nice set uniform colour. It`s all there just add water to the 25kg bag. One bag will do 2m approx. About 8 quid a bag? K Rend is one type ......many colours to choose from and a chart to give samples.

OR
B&Q for Febtone. 1 Good size tub per 25kg cement approx. Mix well. Do little Gauged samples and experiment with ratios if you want to get accurate colour. Protect from rain for a few days if possible.

Alex

Sponsored Links
thanks Alex - the Febtone stuff sounds like what I'm after . .

as an aside - would the stuff from e-bay in the link I copied do the job too?

thanks again

Huey

Yeah Brown Febtone gives a sandstone type Terracota colour or Red?

Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back