Column radiator flow and return wrong way around

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help.

I’ve just fitted three new column rads onto an existing system replacing some old rads. I haven’t been able to identify flow and return pipes because everything is boxed in and plastered over. Old rads didn’t hold any clues, no TRVs fitted. Long story short, two of the three are the wrong way around... lucky I’m not a gambler!

Obvious option is to alter pipe work BUT looking at the rads there is no obvious difference between the front and back, they appear symmetrical in every way. Is there any reason I can’t just turn the rads around so the “front” is against the wall and the “back” is facing outwards. That way the inlet will meet the flow pipe rather than the return?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There is an internal baffle or diverter in the flow side usually. If you mean flip it back to front ,you could try ,but if you mean upside down ,no.

There is an internal baffle or diverter in the flow side usually. If you mean flip it back to front ,you could try ,but if you mean upside down ,no.

No not upside down! Back to front so the rad inlet meets the flow pipe rather than the return.

Edited my first post so it’s clearer!

Sponsored Links
Try one ,you may be OK.

Just checked the rads after 30 mins of heating up and they’ve heated evenly. Maybe there are no baffles in these ones, seems odd though as the inlet and outlet are specifically labelled.

What makes you think they are not connected correctly ?

Before fitting the rads it wasn’t possible to identify the flow and return pipes. After onnecting the rads and firing up the boiler I found that the pipe getting hot first is connected to the rad outlet whilst the pipe getting hot after ten minutes or so is connected to the inlet (there are stickers on the rad identifying each).

So it’s definitely connected wrong but seems to work fine. Not sure why the rad inlet and outlet are specifically labelled if there is no internal baffle.

Don't make sense to me !!
But hey if they work its happy days !!
You said your not a gambler ,but your on a lucky streak mate ,get a lottery ticket quick !!!

Don't make sense to me !!
But hey if they work its happy days !!
You said your not a gambler ,but your on a lucky streak mate ,get a lottery ticket quick !!!
Weird isn’t it. Like you say, it works so I’ll leave them as they are!

I know this is an old thread, but I also just fit a new 2 column radiator without knowing which is flow / return. I'm about to find out today if my 50/50 chance of getting it correct has paid off.

I got it wrong, I had to drain the radiator and swap it around. :rolleyes:

It's interesting though, I have a very similar column radiator in the master bedroom but from a different manufacturer, that one didn't have flow/return marked, so I guess it didn't have a flow diverter installed. It heats up just fine. The one downstairs with the flow diverter does heat differently though, downstairs seems to heat straight up the inlet side, across the top of the rad, then down each column. I guess this is the flow diverter doing it's job. The bedroom one seems to heat evenly from bottom to top.

I think these flow diverters are only really needed for the tall thin radiators.

Altogether they are rubbish things IMO, they should only be fitted purely for aesthetics. They aren't very efficient at heating the space in a room at all, regardless of the rated output.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back