Column Radiator Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Stelrad Column Radiator problems.
I wonder if anyone else knows of this problem. I have 10 column rads and 3 standard ones. 5 of the column rads have started to leak from the bushes and the paint has blistered badly around the leak. Also a number of them has had paint flaking off the seams. The standard rads are fine. All were fitted in 2005 by a very experienced plumber. This was a new heating system and all checks and flushes were carried out. Interestingly enough Stelrad changed supplier of their column rads late 2005 and since then the rads come with factory fitted and welded bushes. All Stelrad suggest is for me to remove the rads and send them back for testing (which will obviously be in their favour). I have searched the net and no one else seems to have had any problems.
I would welcome any suggestions.

Robertarwel

Sponsored Links
Does the system have inhibitor in tit?

Do the bushes have rubber washer around them or PTFE tape?

Andy

Hi,
Yes an inhibitor was used (sentinel), and the bushes came in separate boxes without any seals or washers, therefore PTFE tape was used.

Robertarwel

If they were fitted to the manufacturers instructions then you should have some comeback, they're not out to screw you over, if there's a genuine fault they should admit to it. The lack of washers fitted between the columns may well go against you though, if they were supposed to be there.

Sponsored Links
We have had problems withthe steel column rads leaking. Different supplier but similar issues.

Most of these units are imported, our supplier admitted the faults which occured a few weeks after installation.

I try to talk customers out of having them on our installs: failing that I get them to supply them so they are liable ( having explained our experience).

Hi, Just to keep you informed, I have sent 2 letters to Stelrad both of which have been ignored. The next letter is going directly to the MD. Not only did Stelrad change supplier of their Column Rads they also altered the sizes which will cause havoc when I will be replacing them as the pipes are all under oak floorboards.

Will keep you informed

Robertarwel

Hi, Just to keep you informed, I have sent 2 letters to Stelrad both of which have been ignored. The next letter is going directly to the MD. Not only did Stelrad change supplier of their Column Rads they also altered the sizes which will cause havoc when I will be replacing them as the pipes are all under oak floorboards.

Will keep you informed

Robertarwel

Oh dear! it sounds like very dark storm clouds are about to descend on the Hull area soon! Good Luck! ;)

Hi,
Stelrad Column Radiator problems.
. 5 of the column rads have started to leak from the bushes and the paint has blistered badly around the leak. Robertarwel
Do you mean bushes that the rad valves are screwed into - people here are talking about the bushes that hold the colums together :confused: . : Hemp and paste for those large diameter reducing bushes - I`ve just done some on a few salvaged cast rads I`m refurbishing for my house - tried 15 wraps of ptfe and they failed under my ( Heath Robinson) 2 bar pressure test .Couple of strands of hemp and they are fine - BUT I`ll probably grow more bacteria in the system than Alex. Fleming :rolleyes:

Hi,

Update:
Good news at last, Stelrad have come up trumps, I have just received new column rads off Stelrad. I sent them a number of photos and invited their reps to call and see for themselves what had happened. It just shows it pays to be honest and stand your ground.

Thank you Stelrad

Robertarwel

Thanks for the update, always good to hear the result of a problem like this.

What are Stelrad doing for you, bearing in mind poss costs involved with your oak floors?

They are just giving me replacement rads as a measure of goodwill. The guarantee had expired. I will use the original plumber and he thinks he can avoid lifting the oak boards, so it won't be too bad.

One thing I have learnt is to avoid radiators with a lot of joints in - like the cloumn ones they only come with a 5yr guarantee (the more joints, the more problems), whilst the standard ones have a 10 yr guarantee.
The column ones look fantastic in an old building but their life span is much less!

Robertarwel

Thanks for your useful update and how Stelrad dealt with it all . Although I pretty much do just my own house nowadays , it`s good to keep up with things

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back