Minimum Radiator Height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I am replacing an old, manky radiator with a nice new column radiator. It's under a window, and the new one is going in the same place.

There is 700mm between the floor and the window cill, and I don't want the rad to stick out above the cill. The rad I'm looking at (a Homebase Colonna one) is 602mm in height.

This means that - allowing about 20mm clearance at the top (so the top of the rad isn't touching the cill), I will only have about 80mm between the bottom of the rad and the floor - is that likely to be a problem?

I know that space under the rad is important for airflow - but I would have thought this would be slightly less of a problem for column rads than for panel rads, as column rads have lots of gaps in them all the way up for air to be drawn in, wheras panel rads have to pull it up from the bottom?

The alternative is to ditch the Homebase rad and buy a Delonghi, who do a 500mm rad, which would leave plenty of room - but it's over twice the price!! (And Stelrad and Myson are more again...)

So - is it worth paying twice as much to have a bit more space between the bottom of the rad and the floor, or will 80mm be OK?

All advice appreciated!

A

Sponsored Links
I will only have about 80mm between the bottom of the rad and the floor - is that likely to be a problem?

considering this rad sits on its own feet which are more likely to make the rad sit higher than your 80mm.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both! The feet are a cosmetic "addition" that you don't need and have to pay extra for - so I won't be bothering with them :)

i still think 80mm will make it look like you have squashed it in to the gap you have with no free space.

seco services - I ended up agreeing with you and paid twice as much for the 500mm rads instead, which look great :). Had to explain to the family that xmas is cancelled, mind you....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back