Column radiator not sitting on all brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I've just had a triple column radiator fitted by a plumber who has previously hung radiators in our house. However, this time the rad is only sitting firmly on 2 of the 4 brackets - the bottom two. The top 2 brackets are sitting a good 5mm below the rad therefore not supporting it (but stopping it from falling forwards). However, there is quite a bit of movement as the rad is effectively only sitting on the bottom 2 brackets. I'm concerned that long term this puts too much pressure on the bottom brackets and that the weight should be distributed evenly. Plumber says it's fine. Any thoughts from others please?

Attachments

• 20240522_181536.jpg
    20240522_181536.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 20240522_181551.jpg
    20240522_181551.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
Many of these vertical rads have small gaskets that fit onto the brackets to cushion the contact between rad and bracket and it looks like yours are not in. If you can get some and are able to slide them in it will take up the slack and be snug.

If you're not happy then get him back - if he's at all reputable then he shouldn't have an issue fixing it. Mind you, it shouldn't have been left like in the first place.

Many of these vertical rads have small gaskets that fit onto the brackets to cushion the contact between rad and bracket and it looks like yours are not in. If you can get some and are able to slide them in it will take up the slack and be snug.
yip, mine has these, well, i should say had these, i've noticed bit of plastic on the carpet below the rads lately, it's the gaskets all brittle and broken lol

Sponsored Links
yep they are a pain to hang and level compared to normal rads but usual method is hang it on top two first then fit bottom two when in position he has arsed it up and should come back could be enough adjustment on slots on brackets and no need to re drill and plug

I am not a plumber, I decorate for a living. I have worked in houses where the plumber lost the silicone sleeves, or didn't bother using them. On particularly cold days, you can hear the rads creaking as they expand.

I am not a plumber, I decorate for a living. I have worked in houses where the plumber lost the silicone sleeves, or didn't bother using them. On particularly cold days, you can hear the rads creaking as they expand.
That's your bones

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back