Radiator Bracket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me how to sort this? My father has had a radiator fitted to his wall. Unfortunately his house is 300 years old and the wall is rather crumbly. The standard angle fixing brackets are quite loose. This is more to do with the fact that the plumber has has to bodge it with spacers and all sorts to get it to sit straight on the wall, so it's not really his fault. (As I said the house is very old and the walls are very bent). I seem to remember seeing radiator brackets that sit at the bottom of the radiator, so that the radiator sits on them and then a top piece that hold the radiator top edge in position. With these, I could fit the radiator securely. However, I don't seem able to locate any at all. Any ideas about this, perhaps even a different solution?

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
usually i deal with a hell of a lot of crumbly walls in the region i work, most being cob walls. the old school way which i use myself is using wooden wedges and pegs.and a bit of gripfill (evilgrip) doesnt go amiss.

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember seeing radiator brackets that sit at the bottom of the radiator, so that the radiator sits on them and then a top piece that hold the radiator top edge in position. With these, I could fit the radiator securely. However, I don't seem able to locate any at all. Any ideas about this, perhaps even a different solution?

Cut your existing brackets in half with one of these.

http://tinyurl.com/8sgxhr

If the wall is really bad, then cut an area of good quality 18mm plywood that's just bigger than the bracketed area and smaller than the rad area, and fix that to the wall in whatever manner you can.

Then you can fix the rad brackets to the plywood with immense precision.

seco services i take it you deal with cob walls. day in day out. sometimes people forget the old ways. thats why most old buildings are still standing .have to admit softus answer was a good one.

extra long plugs with matching screws tend to do the job for me.

4 8x60 plugs with 4 4x60 screws per bracket is usually enough.
really soft old wall that is totally hopeless takes a bit more work.

remove rad.
remove wall paper behind rad.
soak in 10 - 15% pva spray until the wall does not absorb anymore.
let it go tacky and brush some undiluted pva on.
24 hours later it will just work like any decent wall.

If the wall is really bad, then cut an area of good quality 18mm plywood that's just bigger than the bracketed area and smaller than the rad area, and fix that to the wall in whatever manner you can.

Then you can fix the rad brackets to the plywood with immense precision.

Gripfix :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back