Comb boiler warm water to long leg bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I live in a bungalow with attached garage where my Glow worm 30cxi combi boiler is fitted. The boiler was repaired for a leak and serviced 6 months ago at a cost of £400. Not sure if guy new what he was doing as he seemed to cause problems along the way and replaced many parts. However, boiler appears very efficient with heating. We get good hot water in kitchen (next to garage) but we don't run tap for very long and not at full blast. The problem we have is getting hot water to the bath. As an estimate taking into account the route of the pipes I would say it is a 15 meter leg. The mains pressure is very good (quite high). When running the sink tap it takes at least a minute to get hot water and its only hot enough if I keep the tap half open i.e. lower pressure/feed. With the bath its similar but worse. If I run bath tap at full pressure then we only get warm water. If I turn tap down very low we get some hot water but not enough for a bath and it takes 3-4 mins for that hot water to come through so we waste a lot of water. I have turned up the hot water control knob on the boiler to max but this doesn't seem to make any difference. It seems like the boiler or heat exchanger cannot heat the high flow.

Any ideas, guidance or advice would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you have room have an invented cylinder installed to run the bathroom with a secondary pump if the wait for hot water is excessive.

This is combi's. Your bath pipework is no doubt 22mm, and this allows you to run more water through the heat exchanger than it is designed to do. The problem will be more noticeable when the incoming mains is colder. You obviously have to empty the pipe run before you get hot water. Insulating the hot water supply may help a little, but you need to match your supply to the boilers output, and run the bath slower.

picasso and oilhead, thank you for your replies. It sounds like either a new boiler with a greater capacity for heating the water or install an invented tank and pump. I probably have enough room for a water tank in the garage. Is fitting an invented tank and pump a very big job? I have not heard of invented tanks so will do a little research on web. Or did you mean to say unvented?

Many thanks again

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry it was autocorrect you need to look for an unvented cylinder (no pump needed)

To install the cylinder, the operative must have a G3 qualification and certificate. Get someone who knows what they're doing;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back