Combi Boiler - Adjustable Stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a Vokera Option combi boiler in my flat, and have what may well be an incredibly stupid question for you all...!

I recently had a water leak and somewhat foolishly decided to start playing around with the stopcock. Does this control the hot or cold water? Should this be fully open or fully closed?

Apologies is this is a bit of a daft question, but what I know about plumbing you could write on the back of my hand...!

Thanks a lot,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Does this "stopcock" have a flexible braided hose coming out of it? If yes, then turn it off!

Think a picture would help

Thanks for the speedy reply! Nope, it doesn't have a braided hose coming out of it - I know the one you mean, I use that to top up the boiler. Here's the one I mean:

photo.jpg

(Apologies for the poor quality, it's from my iPhone).

Thanks a lot,

Dan

Sponsored Links
As kev says- this needs to be adjusted so that the water that comes out of the boiler at the hot water taps is hot enough, since the boiler can only heat water up sufficiently at an appropriate rate.

A similar question ws posted before but I didn't quite understand the answer (as am a bit scared of plumbing and a bit dense with it).

I also have a Vokera combi 24. A plumber fixed a leaking radiator today for me which was grand as the boiler had lost pressure. His apprentice (his words not mine) repressurised it. After he left and we bid a cheery goodbye I tried the hot water tap to wash it and I have no water coming through the hot water taps.

I just wondered - the stopcock (as below in the picture) is turned to shut. Is this perhaps why I'm not getting hot water as opposed to how hot it is? Plumber is coming back but seems confident it's nothing to do with him. Bit of a loss. It was working fine yesterday.

If I turn this stopcock clockwise, will water come of the hot taps? Apologies, like I say, plumbing terrifies me.

Kev, that's me! Hot water again - next and last question - do I keep it turned anti-clockwise or does it fill up and then I turn it clockwise again to stop it or just keep it turned? I am very grateful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back