Combi boiler and water softener together?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to buy a house fitted with a Worcester Greenstar Heatslave 18/25 combi boiler. The property is also fitted with a Permutit PS53 water softener. Is this a compatible setup?

Any comments please, good or bad - I've read all sorts of conflicting stories about the boiler being eaten alive by the soft water!

Sponsored Links
What is the boiler model? Does it have an alu heat exchanger?

I am about to buy a house fitted with a Worcester Greenstar Heatslave 18/25 combi boiler. The property is also fitted with a Permutit PS53 water softener. Is this a compatible setup?

Any comments please, good or bad - I've read all sorts of conflicting stories about the boiler being eaten alive by the soft water!

Perfect marriage I'd say. My family would shoot me if the softener broke down. Depends where you live too. I live in Kent. Our water is 200ppm, That's hard. If you live in Scotland, the water's totally soft. They don't make a boiler for soft water areas, and there are dozens of scale reducing units on the market for combi-boilers. Good choice of boiler and good make of softener I'd say.

It's a Worcester Greenstar Heatslave 18/25 combi boiler. I don't know what the heat exchanger is made of. I was hoping a knowledgable person would be able to tell me along with its suitability.

I'm in Norfolk and the water is as hard as nails judging by the kettle every morning!

Sponsored Links
Sorry, missed the model in the first post! Looks to be steel and stainless steel so should be OK!

it does not matter what the primary heat exch is made of - if the boiler is allumium just fit an extra filling loop UPSTREAM of the softener so that the primary cirucit is filled with untreated water,disconnect the inbuilt one at the boiler, the hot water exchanger will be copper or stainless and therefore compatible with softened water!! ;)

Thanks Boilerman2. Having searched for info regarding that boiler, it seems that one HE is steel, and the other is Stainless steel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back