Combi Boiler Basics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am just trying to understand how a combi boiler actually works inside.

Am i correct in thinking that the water that circulates within the heat exchanger and is used to heat DHW for the taps is the same water that is used for the central heating and pumped to the radiators? (similar to a conventional boiler with a hot water cylinder?).

If this is the case.....how is the central heating maintained when somebody is using the shower etc....My thinking is that if the heat exchanger is passing all of its heat to the shower, how is the water going to the rads maintained? Does the boiler flame intensity to compensate?

Thanks people

Sponsored Links
The heating won't work when hot water is drawn. You won't normally notice this though.

Central heating system is sealed and the combi boiler heats this.
Cold mains passes through a plate heat exchanger and when hot water is
called for the combi diverts the central heating water to the through
this plate heat exchanger. Hot water for the tap and central heating water
never meet.
If you download virtually any combi boiler manual there is a layout
diagram and you should be able to work out the operation from that.

Sponsored Links
The addition to the answer is that the rads have a long thermal time constant and you dont notice that they have cooled a bit during the 15-20 minutes that a shower is taken.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back