Combi boiler: close heating flow and return safely?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a glow worm UltraCom 30cx combi boiler. Is it safe to close the heating flow and return valves and continue to use the hot water?

I have some repairs to radiators and valves I need to do before it gets cold. It may take me an evening or 3 to get it done and the Mrs cannot cope without hot water.

I would turn the heating control on the boiler off to prevent the 3 way valve opening. The expansion tank and bypass cable are both built into the boiler?

Is this a good or daft idea? If daft, is there any other way I can keep the heating on while I replace several leaking radiator valves and a rusted radiator?

Sponsored Links
I decided to go for it.
I turned off the heating flow and return at the boiler and drained the heating loop. The boiler pressure gauge stayed the same and the hot water worked for a couple of days like this. I have not refilled the system and added new inhibitor and we are back to normal but now without the leaking valves and radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back