Combi boiler controls confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there i have a Vokera compact HE combi boiler and as this is my first combi im not too sure of its proper usage.
The central heating temperature selector dial has a section called 'auto' and according to the instructions when the dial is in this section the boiler will adjust the temperature during inclament weather. - Now my question is this if i have TRV's on most of my radiators does this mean these are adjusting the rooms temperature or is the boiler doing it with this auto function or are they cancelling each other out and i should either turn all trvs to max and let the boiler do the work or turn the temp selector out of auto and use the trv's?
I hope that made sense!!!

Sponsored Links
The central heating temperature selector dial has a section called 'auto' and according to the instructions when the dial is in this section the boiler will adjust the temperature during inclament weather.
What this does is to adjust the flow temperature to meet the demand. When a lot of heat is required (inclement, i.e. cold, weather) the boiler will run at a higher temperature; and when it is warmer and less heat required the boiler will run at a lower temperature.

if i have TRV's on most of my radiators does this mean these are adjusting the rooms temperature
The TRV controls the room temperature. If the room is not up to temperature the TRV will stay open until it is. This will mean that heat will be given out by the rad, so the return temperature will be lower and the boiler will adjust appropriately.

Just leave the boiler on Auto and set the TRVs to your requirements.

Do you have a room thermostat controlling a rad without a TRV?

I cant find any room thermostats (recently moved in) Does that mean all the none TRV radiators are just pass through radiators and will be whatever the temperature i set my combi to?

I cant find any room thermostats (recently moved in) Does that mean all the none TRV radiators are just pass through radiators and will be whatever the temperature i set my combi to?
Yes. And not only that, the boiler will keep running until it is shut down by the boiler stat, which may be long after the room has reached the desired temperature.

I would install a room stat in an area without a TRV, preferably the hall, and put TRVs on all the other rads.

Sponsored Links
your combi may be set up with weather compensation, I would check with the installer first before putting in a room stat.

your combi may be set up with weather compensation, I would check with the installer first before putting in a room stat.
I doubt it.

The Vokera Compact HE weather compensator needs the RC05 programmable stat and the Interface 409, to work. And the OP's installation does not have any of these.

the rc05 isint a programmable room stat , its a remote boiler control to which you can connect weather comp or room stat or prog room stat, as the op is a bit confused to what he has , how do you know this isint fitted?(not having a go just curious)

my mistake , the rc05 can be used as a remote boiler control and/or prog room stat.

Yes. And not only that, the boiler will keep running until it is shut down by the boiler stat, which may be long after the room has reached the desired temperature.

I would install a room stat in an area without a TRV, preferably the hall, and put TRVs on all the other rads.

This sounds like my boiler will be working over time for no reason - if i were to switch off all none TRV radiators will this wipe out this problem completely or would this mess up the balance of my heating? (all none trv rads are in rooms that arent essential to have heating)
Surely towel heater rads arent meant to have a room stat in the bathroom??

This sounds like my boiler will be working over time for no reason - if i were to switch off all none TRV radiators will this wipe out this problem completely or would this mess up the balance of my heating? (all none trv rads are in rooms that arent essential to have heating)
It certainly won't wipe out the problem, nor will it solve it. The effect on balancing will be minimal.
How do you control the temperature in the rooms without TRVs? If you say heating is not essential in these rooms do you just turn the radiator off and shut the door? Don't forget that, even with the door shut there will be heat going into these rooms through the walls and the closed door. It would probably be more economical to install TRVs on these rads and set them very low, say 1 or 2.

Surely towel heater rads aren't meant to have a room stat in the bathroom??
Do you mean a wall stat or a TRV? A TRV is unusual as the most people want the towel rad to stay warm all the time. A wall thermostat is also unusual, but no unknown - there was a case on here not long ago. The problem with having a wall stat in the bathroom is that it will turn the heating off every time you run a bath; and the rest of the house will get cold while you soak in luxury.

I suggest you get in contact with Vokera and ask their advice on boiler control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back