combi boiler cutting out on central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have a Potterton Puma 80 combination boiler which is probably about 10 years old. It has been working well since I had a new PCB card about 2 years ago. However, yesterday evening I got home to a chilly house, and when I tried to put the heating on for a bit, it started fine but then cut out almost immediately (pilot light went out, although the boiler was still making the noise it makes when it is sending heat to the radiators).

We can relight the pilot light without a problem; the mains light is lit (as it is supposed to be) and the low pressure warning light is not lit.

The boiler will still produce hot water quite as usual. The heating has been on occasionally over the past couple of months and has been normal (and was on all winter).

When the central heating is switched on, the row of gas flames fires up properly, but then just goes out, along with the pilot.

When I first moved in to my flat, five years ago, the boiler was not working, and it seems to be very similar now. However, five years ago we discovered that the problem was that the boiler was evacuating into a very confined space, and there wasn't sufficient fresh air in this space for the intake. The boiler must never have worked properly, although it had been in place for a number of years before I arrived. We resolved this problem by venting the boiler out to the side (which is an open space) rather than to the rear.

This makes me think that the problem may be the fan or the vent or something - it may be that the boiler just isn't getting enough air. I have checked the actual outflow visually and it does not seem to be blocked.

Any comments or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Werewolf. Are there any other obvious things it might be? How can I check whether it IS the dv valve?

Sponsored Links
diverter valve

its got a wax capsule in it that aint meltin and allow the heating to flowwww

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I have had a CORGI plumber round today. He seemed experienced and competent, and checked the pressure, pump, diverter valve, ventilation, PCB etc etc. All were working fine, and he could not locate the problem.

The CH was working for up to five minutes at a time, getting very hot, but then cutting out.

He also called the Potterton service line, but they were unable to suggest anything precise enough to be a huge amount of help - basically he would have had to come back with just about every part there is in this boiler and test them all. He thought it might be something to do with a temperature sensor which is not cutting in at the right time, causing the boiler to overheat and then cut out. However, when it first started cutting out, it was after a matter of seconds so I'm not sure there would have been time for it to overheat.

Does anyone have any comments on this idea, or other ideas?

Does hot water work if you leave it on for 10-15mins as in running a bath, or have you just turned nearest tap on and it got hot :?:

ill go with pump aswell. never known a faulty d.v to cause OH and pilot to go out.

rob884 said:
ill go with pump aswell. never known a faulty d.v to cause OH and pilot to go out.

mmm

me neither

but would not pump failure play silly beggers with the water?

corgiman said:
rob884 said:

mmm

me neither

cant remember! :oops: dont think its does to be honest!

corgiman said:

Water works with/without the pump, albeit not so well without!

baxpoti said:
corgiman said:

Water works with/without the pump, albeit not so well without!

that will be the old concentric heat exchanger then bax?

must be the pump then

:)

The hot water does work PROPERLY, for showers, washing up etc etc - it's not just a quick squirt of heat and then dead.

The guy who came round yesterday said to me over the phone that it must be the pump, and mentioned that the pump was not used for the hot water, just for the heating, so that seemed to confirm it.

However, when he came round he tested the pump and said that it was working normally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back