Combi boiler draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove a upstairs rad for decorating and unfortunatly my heating system with a Combi by Nefit, does not have rad isolation valves. I want to check is my plan on doing this makes sense.

1) Turn off boiler and gas to boiler make sure all rad valves are open
2) Check water temp is lower than 40
3) Open system at the refill valve to drain, lowest raditor is underground.
4) Let water out as much as possible.
5) open highest point rad vent to let in air.
6) remove radiator and seal with end pieces feed and return lines
7) Close rad vent valve.
8) Connect water inlet.
9) Fill system and check for leaks fill to manual pressure,
10) Bleed rads check system pressure re fill if required
12) Open gas valve, turn on boiler
13) Start up boiler as per manual
14) set temp at themostat at warmer than normal (25 C) let boiler run to temp.
15) re bleed and check pressure
16) reset to normal running conditions

Cheers

Paddy

Sponsored Links
It was not common to do this in the netherlands when the system was fitted, really annoying. The only rad valve is actually in the rad, crazy but true

Your rads will have some sort of valves, somewhere, it doesn't matter where you live. They use the same boilers and rads in Holland as they do in Germany or England, and they need valves.

Sponsored Links
These types of raditors I have never seen in england and they have integral vent valve and then a intergral internal balancing valve but no isolation valves. According to people I have spoke to it was not common practise to put isolation valves for raditors until a few years ago.

Never seen old system in this country then bengas just fitted on conex elbows with male end into rads

There is no point in sticking separate isolation or service valves on a rad. You can just turn the flow and return valves totally off with normal rads, and remove the rad.
Can you post some piccies?

Never seen old system in this country then bengas just fitted on conex elbows with male end into rads
The oldest system I have worked on was from 1870 or 1840, and defo had valves on the rads. How old are you talking about? Ca. 1720?

Maybe a regional thing? I have never seen a system without valves as far as I can remember.

GALLERY]

Don't think I have ever seen these rads.
Are those things on the pipes just compression fit connectors?

You could try taking the pressure off, and loosen the connectors one by one. Pull the pipe out off the connector, and quickly stick an endstop on. 2 men job, unless you are from Marken.

Maybe a regional thing? I have never seen a system without valves as far as I can remember.

i must live in "regional" then, i've seen tons like that, the dodgy rad is always a 1600mm long one so always a 2 man job to get them out :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back