Combi Boiler Exhaust flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

I hope that you can help me with this simple question.
The exhaust flue is 2 metres high from ground level it is covered by a round wire mesh cover, but according to British Gas it is not up to current standards.
Can you please tell me what I need to do to comply.

Thanks

wizzie :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
Are you replacing the boiler? A new condensing boiler will need a new flue and it will need to comply with all sorts of complicated rules. Otherwise I can't imagine why you need to change it.

If the flue is 2m or less from ground level it requires a terminal guard (wire guard) which has a minimum of 50mm clearance from all parts of the terminal. The position regarding openings into the building, boundaries etc also needs to be considered.

HI

The exhaust flue is 2 metres high from ground level it is covered by a round wire mesh cover, but according to British Gas it is not up to current standards.

Thanks

HI

I am not changing the boiler, as I stated it is 2 M from ground level and is covered by a wire mesh.
I do not understand what is wrong !!
Do I need a smaller size mesh or a bigger cover?
Please help

Wizzie

Sponsored Links
HI

Thanks

HI

I am not changing the boiler, as I stated it is 2 M from ground level and is covered by a wire mesh.
I do not understand what is wrong !!
Do I need a smaller size mesh or a bigger cover?
Please help

Wizzie

HI

Here are 2 photo's as requested
[GALLERY=media, 21202][/GALLERY]
This one shows that the exhaust flue is 2 M from the ground and 600 from end of wall and 2260 from nearest window. [GALLERY=media, 21201][/GALLERY]
This one just shows the size of the mesh

I hope that this will help you.

Thank you

wizzie

HI

Thanks to evveryone who replied,
I guess that problem is the grill is not 50m from the end of the exhaust.
The picture shows an extension on a detached bungalow and the boilers is a Worcester 24CDi Series combi.

Thanks again

wizzie

The first pic does not show that it's 2m high as there doesn't appear to be anything to quantify it.
The second pic does not show there is a 50mm gap between the flue terminal and the guard, especially from the wall.

That looks a fairly convincing 2m to me. Either that or it's a tiny house! Is this on a condensing boiler? Big plumes of steam and all?

I'll say it again since nobody with the real knowledge has contradicted me or confirmed my thoughts. Whether the flue is "up to current standards" or not is hardly the issue. When building regs change, they don't come round and knock down everything that no longer complies. If the flue was OK when it was fitted then there should be no obligation to change it now. Ask the BG guy what's wrong with it and decide it that's something you care about.

Its a Potterton, probably a Profile or Prima.
Looks to be around the 2m mark going by the window and if the gate is around 1.8. Only problem might be 50mm gap from front. As Iann (or is it Iann?) says the rules are not retrospective so ask the BG guy to explain why.
Get someone to hold a tape up and take another photo. If it is over 2000mm (even 2001mm) from a standing area, then no guard required.

Btw most people would have ripped it off before it stained the roughcast :oops:

If you don't want a new one tell him to fk off and he will give you a bit paper with NCS which should really say CYA, which you either keep or bin.
If the weans burn their hands too bad, you were told and he has a record of it.

Get the boiler manual out for your particular boiler and have read on the flueing and ventilation section.This will tell you everything thats needed to comply with regs

Seems like another over zealous BG fitter,after you have checked and are not happy with the nonsense he has been telling you phone BG and kick up fuss insisting on someone visiting and checking out the measurements,then when you are proved right ask them to knock off a certain amount off your next bill for wasting your time and trying your patience

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back