Combi Boiler Flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have been qiven quite a large quote (from British Gas) on a boiler replacement. A large amount of the quote is down to the fact that apparantly the placement of my current boiler is not up to regulations. The flue goes out onto my balcony ( live in a block of flats) . However looking online I see regulations about distance from openings (i.e. windows) which it looks like it complies with, and a regulation about distance below a balcony, as it is near knee height on my balcony it should be more than far enough below the balcony above.

The only other thing I have found that might be related is something that suggests that Natural Draught Open Flues cannot be used above or below balconies (inferred from here http://support.ambirad.co.uk/article.aspx?id=10724), but doesn't that just mean that I would need a different type of flue, rather than a boiler not being allowed in that position?

I tend to trust British Gas, but I would like to be sure that there are not other options before spending £5800 (new flue position will require scaffolding to git things, gas pipe will need running through flat, as well as new water pipes to the new position).

Am I missing something? Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Paul

Sponsored Links
I would say your biggest mistake is trusting one quote from anybody, especially British gas. get a second quote.

They will get it right (eventually) but you will pay a high price. Get at least 2 more independent quotes, for your own peace of mind. I for one, hate paying over the odds.

Sponsored Links
What a timely post,i am house sitting for a neighbour who wants to exchange their combi boiler.

Awaiting BG to give a quote this afternoon :confused:

2 independents booked to come this morning,1 phoned to say he has been delayed and we booked another date,were fine with that.

1 has been,his initial interest was with the gas pipe size,at the meter its 22mm but boiler connection is 15mm,he said it will proably need a rerun from the meter but he asked if he could remove some panelling where boiler pipes run and he found 22mm there,so it needs 1m of 22mm.
scaffolding is already up for other works and he is happy to use it,he actually went up it to check the proposed new termination.

Does one any think MR BG will be that interested in keeping the cost down ? :eek: :eek: :eek:

BG man has been and after discussing his findings with the home owner,she has decided not to go with BG.
Basically its down to unnecessary work they want to do without doing any investigations and not listening to the client.(me).
I have a long list of woes to mention but we have another independent doing a survey/quote next week,so I will refrain for now.

BBBG bye bye b gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back