Flue query (minimum distance)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening, I've been looking for a forum like this for ages... and stumbled upon it whilst looking for answers.

As part of a kitchen re-fit, a wall hung condensing boiler is planned. I've been looking at the flue options, and it seems there is only one place it can exit the wall. The hole in the wall for flue will be quite near a window opening.

I understand there is a minimum distance between flue terminal and window, my question is can this distance be met by extending the flue outwards? There is a balcony above, and the flue will run underneath.

This is all part of the planning stage at the moment, all answers appreciated, thanks.

Charlie.

Sponsored Links
The manual usually tells you exactly how far it can be!!! As its under the balcony, be carefull you use the right size.

From memory, next to a window with NO balcony, its 300mm.

Under a balcony, its 200mm I think, but with a window it will be greater.

Edit

See this link, BUT Remember, the MIs will state exactly what is allowed, treat these as guidelines only

http://support.ambirad.co.uk/article.aspx?id=10724

Cheers for the responses everyone.

Taking the 300mm distance as an example, what I'd like to know is, is the required 300mm distance between window and flue terminal (i.e. air intake)? Or window and the flue's body?

Sponsored Links
the reg is clear, 300mm horizontally from opening to flue, on a two pipe concentric flue assembly the flue is the inner pipe, so the 300mm is from the nearest edge of the inner pipe(flue) to nearest edge of opening

The manual usually tells you exactly how far it can be!!! As its under the balcony, be carefull you use the right size.

From memory, next to a window with NO balcony, its 300mm.

Under a balcony, its 200mm I think, but with a window it will be greater.
craig where do you think it says under balcony will require more than 300mm horizontally from opening? under balcony and near window are 2 specific dimensions not really related to each other, and i have never heard of a requirement to increase the 300mm size

Edit

See this link, BUT Remember, the MIs will state exactly what is allowed, treat these as guidelines only

http://support.ambirad.co.uk/article.aspx?id=10724[/QUOTE]

YOU say window opening do you mean openable window or the hole in fabric of the building for the window frame ,
because some manufactures say 150mm is closest you can go to the hole in fabric of building as long as its still 300mm to openable window ...
. With a plume kit baxi allow it to go even closer 100mm

Hi namsag, I did mean window opening.. I wasn't aware about the hole in the frabric of the building stuff.

But, my question was are these distances a measure of the distance up to the flue body, or the flue/air intake opening (which can be extended using extensions).

Kirkgas's reply was the one I was hoping for, and hopefully any gas safe engineers I call on to do the work will agree.

Hi namsag, I did mean window opening.. I wasn't aware about the hole in the frabric of the building stuff.

But, my question was are these distances a measure of the distance up to the flue body, or the flue/air intake opening (which can be extended using extensions).

Kirkgas's reply was the one I was hoping for, and hopefully any gas safe engineers I call on to do the work will agree.
they should agree, if they dont, tell them your uncle k knows better :eek:

The CORGI interpretation was 300 mm from the brickwork opening ( regardless of which parts of the window actually open ) measured to the nearest part of the tube of the flue.

Gas Safe are the same people and are likely to take the same view.

The window opening is because Anglia Windows are not gas qualified and can fit a new poor quality replacement window with a different part opening and cause a previously acceptable situation to become dangerous.

But your gas registered installer should be advising you about all these requirements.

There was also a conflict between CORGI and manufacturers about which part of a plume diverter constituted the discharge point from which measurements should be taken. I would usually take the manufacturer's figure if in doubt.

Tony

Hi there

I've just seen your thread, I believe I have a similar issue, the rule is 30cms. But please note, my advice is remember the plume is about 1m square.

I have a fairly new flue fitted (not what I agreed to purchase) 30cms from an opening window. It is NOT the right thing to do.

My strong advice is, fumes will blow back in through the window, as the plume is 1m or more in size on windy days and when the boiler operates. Try finding another place, or be prepared for emissions to blow back into your home and your face - but I really do not recommend it (from a fellow customer's point of view).

Yes all the literature seems to say 30cms, but you really need about 1m to avoid fumes coming back in.

I hope that helps you and isnt too late, please avoid the situation and hassle I am now having of trying to find a solution to this problem.

:eek:

Sam, I am not sure on what basis you seem to be giving "advice" as I dont think that you are gas registered.

The instructions to installers are quite clear! 300 mm from an opening AND to be installed in a location where it does not cause any nuisence ( such as POC entering the building ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back