combi boiler heat exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Ariston microgenus 23KW combi-boiler and it repeatedly shuts down and needs resetting. I have been told by two plumbers that the heat exchanger needs replacing but they dont seem to be able to get a spare. The boiler is 6year old can this part be changed or should I get a new boiler?

Sponsored Links
All parts for recent Ariston boilers should be available without any problem.

I always wonder when people say "I have been told by two plumbers that the heat exchanger needs replacing" just how that cam about.

Have two people been to see your boiler? Why dont they want to complete the repair? Did they charge you?

Its possible it can just be cleaned by someone who is prepared to!

Tony

Yes, very odd. Why would anyone go out and diagnose a problem and not charge? if they did and got paid then why not complete the job, it's not exactly a big deal to change the HE.

Which heat exchanger? Both are failry simple to change as long as there have no internal leaks. All are easy to get hold of, although you may have to wait a day or two for the merchants to get delivery (I had to order one not long ago and was told that all major components came straight from MTS).

But that was simply a delivery questions rather than availability.

Sponsored Links
HI thanks for your comments, I too am confused as to why these guys have diagnosed but not returned to do work, its as if there is other work more important but get feeling im being fobbed off! Was told a new HE could be expensive too so this was why I considered replacing boiler, maybe I should get manual and attempt to clean it. p.s have not paid any money out yet.

I dont understand why any competent boiler engineer would attend free of charge and diagnose the fault.

We always charge to diagnose a fault. All visits are chargeable!

It would not be fair on our clients if we made free visits to some people which are subsidised by our paying clients.

Tony

Blocked heat exchanger does not need replacing. All that happens afterwards is more dirt in the new exchanger. In most cases where I find cheap boilers, I also find cheap installationwork. It sounds like your system was not powerflushed when the new boiler was installed and is now suffering from debris floating around. The heat exchanger can be taken out and cleaned in less time than it takes to replace it. Unless you live next door to the supplier of course. If you don't flush the system thoroughly, the fault will be back. Probably within the year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back