Combi boiler in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently a boiler installed into our loft as the old one was in our bedroom, was really noisy and also took up too much space.

My only concern is that it is really dusty up there and I'm worried that it could affect the boiler (particularly the fans). The last thing I want is another noisy boiler on our hands.

Is there anything that I could do to try and protect it from the dust without disrupting the required airflow?

Sponsored Links
The boiler will be fully sealed from the loft and you dont need to worry.

However its always better for the boiler to be installed in a clean environment and vaccuuming any dust in your loft will always be a good idea.

One hopes that the boiler has been correctly installed with flooring and a fixed light and fixed loft ladder.

Strictly speaking there should also be a handrail around the access hatch although I see that as not terribly important as 100% of the lofts I go into dont have it.

Tony

Thanks for your reply Tony. You've put my mind at ease.

The boiler has been installed correctly with all the requirements that you mentioned (except for the handrail - although there is one on the ladder itself).

I'll keep the area as clean as possible and hopefully that will also help.

Agree with Tony on handrail, but as it is a health & safety requirement boiler manufacturers engineers could refuse to go up there if a warranty call is required :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Make sure the boiler has a low pressure switch. Not all do. That means that if the system loses water the boiler will dry-fire, and switch off only when it all gets darned hot and the pump's been running dry for longer than it should.
One Ideal boiler I put in without an extra pressure switch :oops: only survived dry-firing twice before it cracked its heat exchanger.

Yes quite a few boilers don't have pressure sensor these days. I was powerflushing a vky compact yesterday and wanted to heat the water with boiler for better effect, with a head of just a few feet (because my tool would flood if I pressurised the system) boiler worked away happily. In some cases a benefit, but when boiler is uppermost, considering householders ineptitude with sealed systems, a disaster waiting to happen.

Suddenly realised that what must have damaged the recouperator in another compact I fitted where it's in an outhouse and the pipes up and opver from it. Old lady overpressurising it so dripping prv, resultant low pressure, so 35kw burner raged on... Now I see what happened.

I know it was 2 years ago now that I had an anual refresher day but I was told then that the ballastrade was only necessary if there weren't any roof structures handy to grab in the event of a fall around the hatch, and not necessary between hatch and boiler if sufficient floor covering more than a walkway. When most repair men have come from installing background at some time or another we're so used to monkeying around in lofts purched perrilously on joists trying to solder a joint we can barely see without seting fire to the house, the issue is muchly nanny state overkill.

Yes quite a few boilers don't have pressure sensor these days. I was powerflushing a vky compact yesterday and wanted to heat the water with boiler for better effect, with a head of just a few feet (because my tool would flood if I pressurised the system) boiler worked away happily. In some cases a benefit, but when boiler is uppermost, considering householders ineptitude with sealed systems, a disaster waiting to happen.

Suddenly realised that what must have damaged the recouperator in another compact I fitted where it's in an outhouse and the pipes up and opver from it. Old lady overpressurising it so dripping prv, resultant low pressure, so 35kw burner raged on... Now I see what happened.

I know it was 2 years ago now that I had an anual refresher day but I was told then that the ballastrade was only necessary if there weren't any roof structures handy to grab in the event of a fall around the hatch, and not necessary between hatch and boiler if sufficient floor covering more than a walkway. When most repair men have come from installing background at some time or another we're so used to monkeying around in lofts purched perrilously on joists trying to solder a joint we can barely see without seting fire to the house, the issue is muchly nanny state overkill. I agree to a decent floor and a good light, and I don't think I should have to put two dining chairs back to back to give me a start or walk up the walls one leg one side one leg other (both of which I have done, aswell as the leg up off yer mate method), but I don't have a problem with the ladder the customer goes to the garage for as long as it reaches into the loft and leaves me enough space to get my toolbag up. Step ladders not adequate. These are not "the rules", but in these days of the gas industry being totally stifled with rediculous legislation, though I wouldn't install to this slack standard I won't walk away and leave an old couple without heat, when next week I might be pulling myself up into an unfloored loft after a leg up to change a float valve.

Or are the regulators now going to say don't go up into a loft at all as a workman until the joiner has paved the way. Who is to protect the joiner?

Complete bumcum.

I doubt I am the only one avoiding installs like the plague. There will be a backlash sooner or later when people can't get anything installed correctly for a value for money fee because of the simple economics of supply and demand. When the price in my area reflects the true difficulty I'll start installing again. Until when you can either ask the government to deregulate and allow us to work intelligently, or you can get in the dodgy folk.

A recent estimate in whicj I pointed out all the pitfalls includiung the need for a large section of 28mm gas pipe up the outside of the block of flats and the cost of copper these days and all the other required conformities, my price was about three times the one another local firm advertises boldly in the paper. Of course I never heard anything, I expect the foreign worker who was appealing to me that the gas supply would be OK because it had been fine with the old boiler would probably be "advising" the client, and quite likely doing the job.

I think most of us agree with you Paul. But it seems to stem as usual from the great US of A with their over inflated personal injury insurance claims :rolleyes:

No large employer is prepared to to let an employee do nearly anything these days, especially as thay can now be prosecuted for corporate manslaughter if a worker dies (falling out of a loft hatch :LOL: )

Heard of a Vaillant engineer the other day who couldn't inspect a flue for problems as he was not allowed to climb a ladder :rolleyes: :LOL:

What happened to good old common sense and if you c***** up and hurt your self it was your own stupid fault :?: as well as a good story and laugh at your expense down the pub :LOL:

Pen pushers keeping themselves in a job by trying to justify their non-existent positions. probably dream all these ideas up in the 'thinking' room. The c****** :rolleyes: :LOL:

gas4you said:
Heard of a Vaillant engineer the other day who couldn't inspect a flue for problems as he was not allowed to climb a ladder :rolleyes: :LOL:

Only a few weeks ago had an Alpha to fix that was making poping noises. On viewing the flame was lifting, on analysis the analyser alarmed straight away. On eaxamining full length of vertical flue no irregularities, ordered new terminal shinned up roof without a roof ladder on a dry day, fitted it, boiler good as new.

Only charge to Alpha, one extra call for requiring a part that wasn't van stock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back