combi boiler install estimate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we're looking to buy an ex local authority type 3 bed prop in Carmarthenshire which has a baxi back boiler in the lounge with DHW cyl and a header tank and CH pump in one of the bedrooms and a room stat in the main bedroom.

Once purchase is completed, we would want a combi boiler installed I guess in the kitchen somewhere (opposite side of house to lounge ) room stat in lounge.

Re. the above, do people here think £2.5K will cover supply and fit of above using proper gas safe installer bearing in mind welsh prices?

PS house will be vacant and contractor can make as much mess as he likes plus we're having some electrical work done seperately...

Sponsored Links
British gas just quoted me £4500 to move boiler and replace with combi. Also replace a small section of pipework.

British Gas are almost invariably more expensive than local independents.

OP - £2.5k sounds a little underbudget to me, £3k-£3.5k might be more realistic, but without seeing the job of course it's impossible to say. Find out who your new neighbours use and get them to quote for you

British Gas are almost invariably more expensive than local independents.

OP - £2.5k sounds a little underbudget to me, £3k-£3.5k might be more realistic, but without seeing the job of course it's impossible to say. Find out who your new neighbours use and get them to quote for you

ouch thats a bit more than I was thinking. Mind you we've had a condensing conventional boiler fitted in our house in an area where trades are expensive (not london though!) and that cost £2K with no re siting of the boiler. I was thinking over in wales it would be quite a bit cheaper...

Sponsored Links
Why not keep the existing cylinder if its in good condition, and have a heat only boiler fitted in the same cupboard and flued to out side through an out side wall or up and through the roof. If you already have a fully pumped system, incorporating zone valve/s, this may be within your budget.
Combis are not always the correct option.
Probably the only thing you don't have in the cupboard is the gas supply, but that should not present a problem.

Why not keep the existing cylinder if its in good condition, and have a heat only boiler fitted in the same cupboard and flued to out side through an out side wall or up and through the roof. If you already have a fully pumped system, incorporating zone valve/s, this may be within your budget.
Combis are not always the correct option.
Probably the only thing you don't have in the cupboard is the gas supply, but that should not present a problem.

I dont want any of the system in the bedroom tbh as its quite a small room so takes up room plus the noise factor or at least I dont want the header tank for the cyl.

But, I'm rethinking this now... I was assuming a back boiler is quite dated and inefficient even if it works (everything does look in good nick) so just get rid of it. Maybe it would be better to hang on to it and move the header tank into the loft from the bedroom?

How well thought of are baxi back boilers?

Baxi back boilers with fires are ugly and not very energy efficient, approx 65% usually.
On the other hand, theyre very reliable if serviced annually unlike most condensing boilers. You can still get most of the parts that usually fail, ie gas valve, thermocouple and ignition pcbs if its the electronic type.
Thats just my opinion, lots of people dont like working on them, I can never understand why, they are very simple in my eyes.

You may have to check that the ventilation is up to standard, as its an open flued appliance it needs a certain sized vent in the room the boilers in, which communicates with outside.

In Cardiff 5 years ago I paid 1100 for a new combi (including the boiler and all the parts). Some pipework was done as I had the boiler in a new location. The house is ex-council 3 bedroom semi.

BTW British Gas quoted 4000 for the same job and it was their summer sail price.

Shop around.

In Cardiff 5 years ago I paid 1100 for a new combi (including the boiler and all the parts). Some pipework was done as I had the boiler in a new location. The house is ex-council 3 bedroom semi.

BTW British Gas quoted 4000 for the same job and it was their summer sail price.

Shop around.

I hope you fed and watered the installers Horse whilst he was busy working :LOL:

Keep the old back boiler. It will last for a very long time.
Cheap to repair should there every be a problem with the only 3 parts it has! Not that they ever fail. Easy to work on.

Is it the thermocouple? Yes/No
Is it the thermostat? Yes/No
Is it the gas valve? Yes/No

A trained chimp could fix one.

put us up in digs and we will come do job for £2.5k... we usually charge between £1500-£2300 depending on boiler inc flush and upstairs trvs for back boiler to combi swaps :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back