Combi Boiler not powerful enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I can't find any similar information via search. We have a 3 bed semi with 1 bathroom. Boiler is Vokera Unica 28HE. Was only 2 years old when we bought the house a few years ago so now 6 or so years old. We have added a small breakfast room with 1 radiator, a radiator in the utility and a combi shower since moving in. We have 9 radiators in total. Downstairs is literally freezing always has been - upstairs great. Combi shower runs lukewarm in the winter then by late spring runs hot again.

Boiler has been serviced until last year.

From reading online this boiler is not the right size for the house? Is it the boiler that is causing the issues with the shower running lukewarm in winter? Why is it SO cold downstairs? The hot water in the bathroom taps runs hot & cold but you can get a reasonably hot bath in the end... I can't recall the issue with the shower happening the 1st winter but def last winter and now this winter.

Do we we need to bite the bullet and upgrade to a more powerful boiler?

Thankyou so much for any replies!

Sponsored Links
Your boiler is certainly big enough for your house.It should heat all of the radiators with no problem,and give a perfectly adequate shower.If it has been regularly serviced,have you mentioned the problems to the service person?.See other posts about balancing radiators.I would guess your combi is upstairs?.

your boiler is more than big enough, your system needs balanced and your DHW flow rate set properly

Sorry I can't find any similar information via search. We have a 3 bed semi with 1 bathroom. Boiler is Vokera Unica 28HE. Was only 2 years old when we bought the house a few years ago so now 6 or so years old. We have added a small breakfast room with 1 radiator, a radiator in the utility and a combi shower since moving in. We have 9 radiators in total. Downstairs is literally freezing always has been - upstairs great. Combi shower runs lukewarm in the winter then by late spring runs hot again.

Boiler has been serviced until last year.

From reading online this boiler is not the right size for the house? Is it the boiler that is causing the issues with the shower running lukewarm in winter? Why is it SO cold downstairs? The hot water in the bathroom taps runs hot & cold but you can get a reasonably hot bath in the end... I can't recall the issue with the shower happening the 1st winter but def last winter and now this winter.

Do we we need to bite the bullet and upgrade to a more powerful boiler?

Thankyou so much for any replies!
Whatever you do,,,do not replace it with a bigger boiler..The rads will stay exactly the same with a boiler twice the size if all else is kept the same.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. I actually dont think ive mentioned shower problems. Oops! I will get the service guy out and chat with him. Combi boiler downstairs. Combi shower is upstairs. Husband doesn't think we had issue with shower 1st year. But i can't be sure as our premie boy was born the week after showrr installed so all a bit of a haze! We had issues with expansion vessel and things may have went downhill after that. However to be honest I have no clue.

Thanks for reply. I was just canvassing my dad for ££££ for a new boiler so hopefully that's not needed.

downstairs rads may be undersized, there is some good local lads on this site, one may be able to come round and give your system the once over

If the problem is affecting both rads and hot water, then it's probably not the system piping that's at fault.

Perhaps low gas pressure to the boiler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back