Combi Boiler or Conventional?

Sponsored Links
~So they came around today. They did say the issue seems to be related to water flow and not pressure.

However they couldn't check the flow as the stop cock is on the inside of the boundary ( about 0.5m on the inside). So instead of testing it there, they are going to come back, dig up outside the house, fit a new inspection hole and stop cock and test flow to that point!

All of this because they didn't want to risk the issue being within the 0.5m pipe that is from the current stop cock to the wall!

Will know in couple of weeks the result.

He did say however he thinks the issue is with the pipe under my house as it is old lead pipe and although they are thick on the outside, they are thin inside!

Shall see what the result will be

Sponsored Links
Good news: The guys have now installed a new tap on the outside and checked pressure and it is only 7lt per minute. So they need to get another team now in to dig up the pavement to the mains and lay a new feed to get my 22lt per minute. I know there is a length of lead pipe from the outside to the inside of my property, but it is only 12m approximately, so hopefully once the water flow is sorted at the top, I should see an increase in the flow inside.

Don't bet on it; do your side as well, and you'll be over the moon. Digging a trench is just a little bit of hard work and confidence, and once it's done, you can run the washing machine and not worry about the shower going cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, my bad.

BUT

They are both related though. If you don't have flow, you are not going to have good pressure?

They are both related though. If you don't have flow, you are not going to have good pressure?
Not really, the pressure of the River Thames is Close To (edite dit) but the flow is measured in M3 per second not litres per minute.
The pressure in a hydraulic bottle Jack can be thousands of psi but open a bleed tap and the flow would be almost nothing.

Last edited:
Not really, the pressure of the River Thames is zero

There is a pressure differential along the Thames. More accurately there is a difference in "head" between the Thames Estuary and the river at Teddington Lock,
At low tide the sea level in the estuary is lower than the level at Teddington so the Thames flows towards the sea.
At high tide the sea level in the estuary is higher than the level at Teddington so the Thames flows backwards towards Teddington.

A difference in "head" of 32 feet of water creates a pressure of approx 1 bar

Flow = Pressure difference / Resistance

Resistance depend on size and length of pipe

EDIT

Pressure difference does not = Flow / Resistance

Pressure difference does = Flow times Resistance

I rellay nust lern to pruff reed

Hence with no flow the pressure at the closed tap will be the same as the pressure at the street. Then the more flow out of the tap the greater the pressure difference ( created by the flow times resistance ) between street and tap.

Last edited:
Sorry not sure how it ended up zero, I meant to say close to zero. This site has severe editing issues recently.
Your physics formula is clearer than my analogy anyway(y)

Having lived on eel pie island in the tidal Thames i cannot endorse the correctness of bernardgreen's reply :rolleyes:

if i was still living there i could ask my best neighbour Mr Windy to explain better but i am sure he will mention constant pressure automatic pumps :?:

Well, it has not changed :(

THe utility company came and fiddled around with the main infeed. It is a lead pipe, but instead of changing it, they cleaned it out. THey showed me the flow which now is at about 40lt per min.

But inside the house it is still the same. As soon as one unit comes in, the pressure drop is terrible.

So it seems I need to get the pipe from outside to the inside of the house changed and stick some blue lines in the ground. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back