Combi Boiler or Conventional?

Thanks all for the replies.

Done some measurements, and here are the results

i have done the test in 2 areas: Kitchen and Bathroom

Kitchen: ( no other sourches in use, only 1 tap)
Cold Tap flow rate: 7.2lt/min
Hot Tap flow rate: 6.6lt/min

Bathroom ( no other sources in use):
Cold: 10.9lt/min
Hot: 8.2lt /min

Bathroom ( Cold tap on in kitchen ):
Cold: 6.2lt/min
Hot: 4.4lt/min

Bathroom ( Hot tap on in kitchen ):
Cold: 7.7lt/min
Hot: 4.3lt/min

I think perhaps the tap in the bathroom is better than the one in the kitchen hence the slight difference in the flow rate.

Attached is how the cold and hot water pipes run around at the moment in the bungalow.

So would love to know what you guys think will be the best setup for my property after extension to be able to run:

2 bathrooms
Kitchen with Sink
I want to be able to use shower whilst someone else might be washing their hand or the washing machine be running elsewhere. At the moment , we can't as the water pressure drops a lot in the shower.

Attachments

• Waterpipesjpg.jpg
    Waterpipesjpg.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
Those flow rates are somewhere between feeble and useless. You really need to find out why they are so poor before deciding on any particular system.

Have you done this:
Check the stop taps both in the house and in the street are fully open.

There are 2 stop cocks:

The one inside the house is fully open and i can't open it anymore. The one outside it is completely seized. I can't open or close it.

I have replaced all the pipes with 22mm feed and then where it drops down to go to the outlets, they drop down to 15mm

I have replaced all the isolating valves with 15mm full bore items.

Don't leave the stop cock fully open as it can jam. Always turn it back an eighth of a turn to keep it free.

Sponsored Links
Check with your water supplier.....they'll know what the supply pressure is in the area where you live.
Then you will know if it's a problem in the area generally or if its specific to your place.

Do this first.

Just switch to a combi and really like it. Loved taking the tanks and loads of pipework out of the roof and will enjoy removing the airing cupboard and reclaiming the space in a bedroom. Pros and cons with each but that model should be fine for a bungalow. I have a three bed semi with that combi and its fine.

Comparing month for month have your gas and water bills decreased or increased since converting to a combi. ?

Not sure was installed a month ago.

Also I replaced the water main beforehand and flow increased from 10l/min to 17l/min. Pressure also increased albeit I didn't measure it.

Hmmm, maybe need to change my water main also. But i will check with the Yorkshire Water first and see what they say.

Who is responsible for replacing the stop cock if it is not working? The one outside the house is seized and I can't open or close it?

The water company owns the stock outside usually, although it can be a grey area. Ours told me the quickest way to get it changed is to ask for a water meter. They have a built in stop tap.

If it's in you're garden, then it's normally you're responsibility. The water companies will sometimes repair the first leak you get on your property, but they normally make the garden boundary as the demarcation point.

There are 2 stop cocks:

The one inside the house is fully open and i can't open it anymore. The one outside it is completely seized. I can't open or close it.

I have replaced all the pipes with 22mm feed and then where it drops down to go to the outlets, they drop down to 15mm

I have replaced all the isolating valves with 15mm full bore items.

I recently replaced my stopcock inside the house as it could never be turned off properly and I always had to go into the street. Once I'd cut it out, I looked through it and was surprised how much gunk had built up, there was hardly any bore left for the water to go through.

Once the new stopcock was on, my water flow probably doubled! Before if you flushed the toilet whilst the electric power shower was on (fed from cold only), the shower went off. Now it doesn't.

So if your stopcock is ancient, you may find replacing it helps. I think ours was probably from the 1960s!

Water company replaced the meter about 4 years ago by the looks of things as we have a smart water meter ( not our choice was installed by previous owner).

Will get on the blower to them. The stop cock outside the house is on the side of the drive before you get to the road. Will see what they say.

Spoke with water company. They are sending someone around on Friday to take a look and let me know what we need to do / can be done.

According to the person on the phone, the pressure should be no less than 9lt per min. To me this sounds quite low?

The legal min is quite low and I can see you meet that in the bathroom already. They might be able to do better, but also the requirement is at the stop cock too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back