Combi Boiler problems!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just some advice from some combi boiler experts, I'm well aware it's about time I had a new modern combi fitted to replace my aged boiler but wasn't hoping to incur that cost quite so soon after Xmas.

Boiler is a Worcester 240 BF , been working flawlessly for years but suddenly last night ,although all the lights were still on the gas valve had tripped so nothing was alight, only reason I noticed was that the CH was on, the wife had poured her bath and was still in it but the boiler pressure guage was well down from where it should have been (no burners on, no extra pressure).

Now the problem is when you hold the grey gas button in, spark it up, it light's no problem, what it won't do is stay lit, you hold the gas button in and as it gets warmed up it nearly stays on, you can physically hear the gas valve trying to stay on , it just holds a little then lets go, if you push it in several times, it will stay in sometimes ,the boiler stays alight for various amounts of time but eventually it will trip again. The boiler is not being used at the time , no CH demand, no Hot water demand, it just sits their with pilot light on, then suddenly it trips the gas valve.This morning it stayed on for ages, actually gave the wife hot water all morning then tripped after dinner, it's currentl switched off at the moment completely.

New boiler is the best answer I know, was hoping to make it to the summer so I could have a good look at what's best for our needs and find the best deal rather than making a rash decision and picking a bad choice boiler as well as just paying fo Xmas and car insurance on the 4th January

From what little bits I have managed to read, maybe it's the gas valve at fault or someone suggested it might me the thermo couple ?? at fault.

I'm aware that boilers have a safety feature built in that switches off the gas if things go wrong, but it's not overheating or pump over running or anything like that, it just randomly switches itself off whether in use or just sitting there idle with the pilot light burning as normal.

Some places say the gas valve is no longer made where as other places still seem to have it in stock??.

Might be a case that I have to source the parts then get a gas engineer to fit them if it can't be found locally. I'm out of town all day long so would like a bit of info if anyone can help so I can phone round a few places and see what I can sort out.

Many thanks if anybody can shed some light on what maybe the problem, I once had a so called reputable company try and take me for a ride when the diverter valve went wrong, "yes sir, we've reserved you the last one in Ipswich, it's only £140 + vat plus fitting if you want it done" a simple phone call to a local heating centre came back with a price over the counter of £69 for the valve direct to the public, hence someone else got the job

Sponsored Links
Probably just needs a pilot clean or thermocouple...it's extremely rare to need a gas valve for pilot issues. Easy fix for proper boiler repair engineers.

All the parts which are likely to be needed will be available locally.

I would probably be charging about £94 total.

Some firms add a mark up to the cost of parts and others don't. I add a nominal £10 for getting parts which are not normal van stock. But then the fitting charges vary as well. One would expect those who add a mark up would charge less for fitting, but....

I would have repaired your old diverter and charged a total price of £106 !

Tony

Thanks guys, sounds better than needing a new boiler just yet, only fitted new worktops a couple of years back, was hoping not to have to alter that side of the kitchen if the pipes had to be changed to suit a new boiler.

What is the most reliable boiler these days when the time does come to renew it. Hoping that the pipes might still be in a similar order to the old boiler so I don't get a spaghetti junction of pipework below or above the worktop, the washing machine sits between 2 units and in front of the boiler pipework quite comfortably at the moment, I can't fit my washing machine anywhere else.

Thanks for a rough guide of what the price is likely to be, I have no objection to people making a mark up on prices especially if they have to go out to get those parts, but what that company were trying to do was simply rip me off, they would have got it cheaper than the £69 I could have bought it for over the counter, then simply doubled the price to start with.

I'm no plumber but I do work along side them quite often, getting one to fit me a new boiler won't be a problem when the time comes, it's the repair side they don't do, I could fit you an Oak staircase but I couldn't make it for you, each to their own trade :)

I'll phone round a few places over the weekend and see who's available when I've got use of a landline rather than my mobile

Sponsored Links
I replaced a Worcester 240FF with an Intergas last week and the pipe layout and spacing meant no pipework modifications at all!

Tony

Thanks for that Tony, I don't know if a 240FF is the same as 240BF but basically its CH return and flow left side of the boiler, cold feed/hot water next to them with gas supply on the right side of the boiler with a drain pipe between the gas and domestic water pipes.New Boiler widths are the same ,different height on all three models I looked at and a good bit shallower in depth.

I went to their website and had a quick look, they look quite modern and very compact in size, do you know the gas requirements of those boilers and how bigger boiler I would get away with, the reason I ask is there is only a 22mm pipe run to the present boiler, I have read about bigger boilers needing a 28mm run to provide the correct gas flow, without going into great details ,a rough guess off the top of your head but I basically have a small 3 bed semi, one small kitchen kick heater that's hardly ever used, 7 rads and only a bath, no shower due to the extension being a lean to roof with limited head height where the bath is, it was either bath or shower and we stuck with the bath , not enough head room to have a shower in the bath.

Are the Intergas boilers a good buy, my Worcester has served me well but we all know nothing lasts forever :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back