Combi Boiler Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I switch on my central heating boiler to heat up the radiators. It starts normally, the gas lights and the green light comes on.

However, after a short while it sounds like the water inside the boiler is 'boiling' and the boiler switches itself off. If I run the hot tap shortly afterwards, the water comes out at a really high heat (I think this proves the boiling bit??)

I think the pump (Grundfoss?) inside the boiler might have expired. I've done the following:

- If I listen to it with a stethoscope then it makes a 'buzzing' noise (no whirring, which I'd expect?)

- I've taken the big screw off the front (I think this is for bleeding the pump) and tried to turn the spindle with a screwdriver. It turns easily and there is no indication of any gunk in there blocking it from turning.

- I've started up the boiler (I didn't know whether this was dangerous, and whether the pump without the screw in the front would spray me with boiling water - but nothing happened). Looking at the spindle with the boiler going, it's not turning.

Would we expect to see the spindle turning from the second the boiler is started?

Is this a pretty good indication of whether the pump is broken or not?

Many thanks for any suggestions,

Rob

Sponsored Links
Pump is duffed. You may find you can just change the head depending on the model. What no;s do you have on your pump?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back