Combi Boiler Quote - Fair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this site has proved useful to me in the past so I have signed up to ask this question. Hope you can help me! I know absolutely nothing about plumbing etc so keep it easy to read if possible!

We currently have a water tank in the spare bedroom above the kitchen. The current boiler (in the kitchen) is an "old style" one (ie not combi). There is a pump to get hot water from the tank into the shower and bathroom. The hot water downstairs doesnt need a pump (gravity is a good thing).

We are hoping to get rid of the tank completely and replace the boiler with a combi. The plumber who removes the tank can keep it for copper weigh-in if they want.

Now we are told that we will not need a water pump if we get a decent boiler as the water from the mains through the boiler should be enough to keep a nice shower going. So as such we have been quoted for the whole job:

Heatline Combi Condensing Boilers - Solaris 35 HE (£700)
Copper Pipes - £150
Remote Clock/Timer (apparently needed to meet regulations? is this true) - £120
Labour for 2 to 3 days takes total to £1400.

This seems a lot to me but I really am in the dark. Can anyone make any suggestions on this? For instance, anything stand out as good or bad such as the boiler, and is the quote fair? Will the boiler provide enough power and is it efficient?

It seems all reasonable to me after looking around a bit but I still feel a bit in the dark on the whole thing regarding costs etc. I have no reason to doubt the plumber who seems trustworthy and it recommended, its just I would welcome further advice even if it just adds to my confidence before going ahead with this work and quote.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Cold water pressure & flow is? I take it your plumber did check it before recomending any combi boiler.

If water pressure is low you simply CANNOT connect pump to incomming water main it's against water regulations

I dont know what it is at our mains, the blurb I found for the boiler he recommended is :

The Heatline Condensing Combi Gas Boiler Solaris 35PC HE is a Sedbuk Band A high efficiency boiler that is superb value without compromising on quality of components.

After listening to the trade heatline responded by building this Condensing 30kW Boiler that has already proved highly successful in the UK Market.

• Sedbuk A Rated
• 30 KW Output
• Inbuilt 24HR Timer
• Domestic Hot Water Heat Output: 35.01 KW
• Domestic Hot Water Flow Rate 14.35 l/min
• Dimensions: H 720mm, W 460mm D 330mm
• Semi Digital Control System
• Self Diagnostic PCB Board
• 2 Year Warranty

Dont know if this helps, I guess teh pump has to go then. To be fair, I seem to remember the plumber stating this as fact. You've just reminded me.

...you really should get a couple more quotes. Just for fun you should get one from BG :D

Sponsored Links
...you really should get a couple more quotes. Just for fun you should get one from BG :D

The first quote I got was actually for £800, but the plumber who quoted then seemed to do the world's best disappearing act. I get the impression that the boiler might have been made out of bits of pocket lint and held together by cellotape.

God knows what happened to him. The other local plumbers appear fully booked and cannot give a quote for at least a week, so here I am in the meantime.

I was thinking about BG but it seemed pointless since they are usually so expensive (according to people here and anecdotal from friends/family and colleagues).

if the boiler is suitable, the system is flushed properly, the required trvs are installed & the installation gets registered. the quote sounds cheap as chips.

if any of the above is not included get someone else.

So you are saying £430 for him to convert system for a combi and clean the pipework?
That is 3 days at £143 less Mr Darlings fee and overheads etc means he is working for about £80 take home a day.

Your telling us this seems quite a lot !!!!

Give me his number quick I can have employed every day all year and make a fortune off his back too.

This price is not for a Corgi registered installer surely?

Pete

Evidently this is a good quote!

He was recommended by a friend - I wonder if its a favour of sorts then?

At any rate, I think I will go ahead with it (after asking the Q's advised by spacethegas)

I think my head was turned by the £800 quote, which now seems a bit iffy due to the guy disappearing off the face of the planet.

hi,

where abouts in the uk are you just out of curiosity?

Sam

where abouts in the uk are you just out of curiosity?

UK? I was thinking planet! £800 for a combi swap - including parts :LOL: - this would be the planet where tradesmen pay the home owner to come and do their work.

Its cheap cos its a Heatline, run forest run :LOL:
Why do you think other guys are busy and cant quote, cos they are decent!
Dont wanna scare you but never take the first or the cheapest quote and ask for his corgi id card, if he isnt carrying it then i doubt he is legit.
Get 2 more genuine quotes in writing before you go ahead, your not desperate so bide your time and ask questions,even if you may feel they are daft ones that will embarrass you, us plumbers are used to getting asked daft questions.

Thats a very reasonable quote BUT as always check his CORGI card and make sure he power flushed the system or takes responsibility for any system dirt related problems.

We still dont know where you are located! Location, Location Location !

Tony

Thats a very reasonable quote BUT as always check his CORGI card and make sure he power flushed the system or takes responsibility for any system dirt related problems.

We still dont know where you are located! Location, Location Location !

Tony

It's not a reasonable quote it's a ridiculous quote. When you start charging a fiver to diagnose a simple boiler fault, then I'll believe that it is reasonable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back