Fair quote ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to install a new bathroom in the near future.

My hot water/ central heating system is a conventional open vented gravity fed system with a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard upstairs next to the bathroom and a 50 gallon loft tank.

To facilitate the installation of a shower pump, I have decided to have the existing hot water cylinder and the loft tank replaced. The hot water cylinder still works but is about 30 years old and I assume a new one will perhaps improve efficiency. The loft tank again is the original and certainly does not comply with current byelaws because it is simply covered by a piece of polystyrene weighted down with a brick.

I have called in a plumber to give me a quote on replacing the cylinder, the loft tank, 2 stop cocks in the airing cupboard and make the plumbing provisions for the installation of a shower pump as and when. The replacement tanks will be like for like and the provisions for the shower pump will be a feed from the top of the hot water cylinder via a Surrey flange and a dedicated cold water feed from the loft tank.
Although I haven't yet had an official quote, the plumber has given me a ball park figure of no less than £1500 and the work should be complete in 1 day. What got me thinking is that the plumber mentioned that the hot water cylinder (117 litre capacity) would cost about £300 alone to purchase. I have since seen these cylinders for £157 in screwfix, quite a mark up on what the plumber quoted.
I appreciate plumbers are expensive but bearing in mind I could probably source all the required parts for less than say £500, isn't the remaining £1000 for a day's work rather expensive ?
Perhaps I am being naive but has anybody got any thoughts or comments ?? :eek: [/b]

Sponsored Links
Yes you are getting ripped off big time and not being naive.
Even buying a 120 litre HE cylinder fom plumb centre, they are sold to the general public for around £200 plus vat and would not need an additional shower flange as they are built into cylinder side.
So providing shower provision he is leaving is not a massive run etc the materials will not be above £500

I have since seen these cylinders for £157 in screwfix, quite a mark up on what the plumber quoted.
[/b]

now go and price one in plumbcentre for the same cylinder.
we don't all shop in charity screwfix.

i always thought charities gave things away for free ! Have checked plumbcentre and they retail there for £215 inclusive of VAT. Is the quality there that much better ? Also at plumbcentre prices still £85 mark up on what i've been quoted. Value for money is king , times are hard :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The plumb centre one reheats in 15/20 mins so you will save in the long term also it comes with all the fittings and immersion heater and as previously said you won`t need a cylinder flange.
You will have to buy all these seperate with the screwfix one so basically they will work out roughly the same price and yes plumbcentre one is better quality

their quality is no different because its the same make of cylinder.
but all im saying is prices vary from different merchants.
screwfix solder fitting are cheap where as yorkshire fittings are quite abit different in price it all adds up.

but yes your over all quote maybe a bit dear depending on how hes priced it.
which sounds like it priced it all on seperate jobs rather than a day rate.

Yes you are getting ripped off big time and not being naive.
Even buying a 120 litre HE cylinder fom plumb centre, they are sold to the general public for around £200 plus vat and would not need an additional shower flange as they are built into cylinder side.
So providing shower provision he is leaving is not a massive run etc the materials will not be above £500

thanks for that. no massive runs involved. just straightforward replacements like for like. existing pipework will be used.

their quality is no different because its the same make of cylinder.
but all im saying is prices vary from different merchants.
screwfix solder fitting are cheap where as yorkshire fittings are quite abit different in price it all adds up.

but yes your over all quote maybe a bit dear depending on how hes priced it.
which sounds like it priced it all on seperate jobs rather than a day rate.

thanks for that. i appreciate not all plumbers use the same merchants and that prices will vary to some degree.
i wasn't aware that there were so many ways to price a job...ie separate jobs or day rate. i thought it was a simple quote on the work involved to perform the task in hand plus materials used. perhaps that's my naivety shining through. :rolleyes:

Some of the lads will string me for saying this (and I don't care tonight coz i've had one or two :) ) but if you're not happy with the quote, get one or two more. If there is a massive difference then something ain't right. If they are all around about the same then.... need i say more?

If you want cheap then go for it and live with it. If you want someone who might cost a bit more and care a bit more and come back if there is a problem then... need i say more?

Now then, back to my Claret :)

Some of the lads will string me for saying this (and I don't care tonight coz i've had one or two :) ) but if you're not happy with the quote, get one or two more. If there is a massive difference then something ain't right. If they are all around about the same then.... need i say more?

If you want cheap then go for it and live with it. If you want someone who might cost a bit more and care a bit more and come back if there is a problem then... need i say more?

Now then, back to my Claret :)

Thanks for that. your advice and wisdom are much appreciated. i think the moral of the story here is to get as many quotes as possible and then make an informed decision.

i'm glad you're enjoying your claret, i'm certainly enjoying mine ! actually if i have enough claret i might even do the job myself. :LOL:

NOOOOOO!!!! not Claret enabled!!!! Its a disaster waiting to happen believe me :LOL:

PLEASE don't get as many quotes as possible NAI. Apart from anything else (ie it pushes up EVERYONE else's quote including yours), the lads will duff me up :eek:

i think the moral of the story here is to get as many quotes as possible and then make an informed decision.
Well you're not thinking very straight then, because the more quotes you get the more of people's time you're wasting.

Has it not occurred to you that the work involved in giving you a quote is built into the price you end up paying? And there's no way that you'll get a cylinder, AND all fittings, and all pipework, AND two good quality gate valves, for £500 including VAT, consistently, every time you need to do it, with any faulty parts exchanged instantly and without queuing behind idiots buying MDF to make rabbit hutches.

You could go to Screwfix and help drive your local merchants out of business. You could get every local plumber to quote and help push their prices up. You could attempt it yourself and then call a plumber when you've f***ed it up.

Or, you could ask for an estimate from a contractor for whom you've been given a personal recommendation from someone whose judgment you trust, and then just let them get on with it.

Now as i read this this is a cylinder change and new tanks/tanks in loft.

You dont say what type of tanks you have im guessing there probably galvanised tanks as otherwise you wouldnt want to replace em.
What did you arrange do do with the old tanks? Most old tanks just get pushed into the eaves and left.
Oki say 1 x50 gallon tank @ £100 ish
Timber to make proper tanks support @£25
Fittings pipe £50
Good quailty gate valves £20
Labour for tank change £220
Public liabilitity contribution £5
Waste charge £8
Total tank change £428
but be honest probbaly 2 smaller coffin tanks linked together would give you more water, I had a salamander 3 bar pump emptied a 50gal in 4min 5 secs other day!!!!!.

Hot water cylinder. You dont give many details about this is it a tight fit? are the central heating port valves/pump in front of the cyclinder , is a gravity system could be being +30 years.

Cylinder £175
pipe fittings £50
Labour for tank change £220
Public liabilitity contribution £5
Waste charge £0
Wots thats about £900 1 man 2 days.
Its sunday morning and im bored.
Say £1k with the vat.

I'd be thinking about £8-900 assuming everything is accessable, Spread over 2 days a worthwhile job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back