combi boiler training

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all this is my first post. i am a fully qualified corgi reg installer but have served all my time doing new builds so have never really got involved in the fault finding and servicing combis sort of work. need to top up my skills in this area so can any of you reccommend a course in the southwest i can take. i live in taunton so i guess it will be a trip to bristol or somewhere, don't need to learn the install side just the fault finding so i'm guessing a 2 day course?? any help will e greatly appreciated..

Sponsored Links
LMAO!! 2day course to learn fault finding!!?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry, something a bit more constructive now!

Manufacturers will offer fault finding courses but they are pretty much manufacturer specific but could offer a reasonable grounding as to how a boiler operates, you can get these free sometimes but be aware that they can also turn into sales pitches for their products.

If you can then get out with someone else who can explain to you what they are looking for and why they are looking at it. Alot of fault finding is down to experience and not courses although these can help with the finer things to look at. Alot can be said for just working on appliances to educate yourself.

The basic thing that my dad taught me was that it is far easier to diagnose a fault if you know how it should work in the first place.

Familiarise yourself with how a boiler should operate, they all have a functional flow to them and all boilers operate in a similar way. Once you have a grasp on what they should be doing then its easier to work out why they aren't.

For example, and this is basic!!, power to boiler>call for heat>APS proves open>fan and pump starts>APS proves fan>ignition starts and gas valve opens>flame is rectified>ignition stops>boiler operates until demand or return temp satisfied.

Like i said this is very basic and i'm pretty sure someone else can waste half an hour typing one up but its a generalisation to give you some idea. This is not specific to any or all boilers.

The amount that you will learn is the amount that you are willing to put into it and you to can be as sad as some of us!! Next thing you'll know you'll be quoting part numbers in your sleep!!

right thanks, i do know the basic procedure like you just mentioned and am competent in replacing the parts when i'm sure it is faulty. i'm just paranoid of fault finding the wrong part and spending cash on parts that don't solve the problem.. i fit baxi's so may see if i can get on there duotec course tho i think they are a distance from me. still thanks for your reply

Sponsored Links
The book I gave you a link for explains all the different symptoms and what faults they point at and how to test each individual component it's well worth buying!

right thanks, i do know the basic procedure like you just mentioned and am competent in replacing the parts when i'm sure it is faulty. i'm just paranoid of fault finding the wrong part and spending cash on parts that don't solve the problem.. i fit baxi's so may see if i can get on there duotec course tho i think they are a distance from me. still thanks for your reply

All of us have diagnosed the wrong part at some time and no doubt will do so again in the future.

Thats how you learn, experience. When it costs you in your pocket, you never forget that mistake in a hurry :LOL:

ok thanks guys, i'll definatly get that book cs30, i did buy one when i first went self employed from corgi but it was'nt any good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back