combi course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been reading about a combi fault finding course in some of the trade mags. No doubt some of you will know which one im on about. Is it worth doing? I am newly qualified and no very little about fault finding?

Sponsored Links
I know of the course but haven't been on it. However for my money I would do the rounds of the manufacturers.

You definately need to do something because acs is so far bag in history it has no relevance to the job as we do it today.

They focus on stuff we come across in 1 in a 100 jobs so that we are on our guard against unsafe situations from previous eras. Completely useless for the majority of work.

Join argi it's free at present. Ask tech questions on the workbench there. There is an atmosphere of mutual support, let's face it we all get things wrong, there we can find out what we've got wrong without the Gestapo attitude.

Stick to simple stuff until after your first work inspection in a few months time. Make sure you have covered all silly things, like lagging condensate drain, sealing inside only part of sleeve for gas pipe through walls (unless into back of meter box, when you seal the meter box side). Put bonding or something around your flu holes internally. I got picked up for just using the provided rubber cover,, not good enough for gestapo...

otoh leave them something like that to find, makes them feel terribly important..........

In my view the boiler manufacturers courses are best for those with considerable experience of boilers who want to finely tune their knowledge on a particular model.

They vary considerable and the best I have been on are the Ravenheat and an Ideal Response course. The latter was run by a service engineer who was very frank and honest and told us things his boss would not have wanted us to know!!!

The worst are run by "trainers" who have little knowledge of boilers in the field. My pick would be the Vokera one where the guy was ex BG and had been training for six months but had absolutely no service experience on Vokera boilers. It did not help that I had to move my car off site to a pretty rough place a mile away just so the owner could park his Rolls in the compound. I have never bought a Vokera boiler since!

There is a combi course at Trafford College which I have heard is very good. Another at Bedford has varied responses. Learning how to use a multimeter seems to be one of the bigest hurdles.

As far as ARGI is concerned, it should be fulfilling an important function but my experiences are that its only yet another forum and they can be pretty rude and abusive. That was explained to me as being because they were mostly very disenchanted with CORGI and as such they are mostly a disgruntled selection of people. I used to try to help them but was clearly not welcomed so I stay away now. Only one of 500 people said that I was missed!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back