Advice About Fault finding courses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Just wanted to ask some of the experienced guys for some advice
I'm 20 and in the last couple of months of my NVQ3 so still learning all the time, Im currently training for my ACS and I'm interested in getting into the Boiler Fault finding side of things. I know there are courses available but like The rest of the trade I know the hands on side of things is very important. When I have my ACS I was going to do a few of these courses is this the right way to go about things and has anybody got any constructive advice for me please. Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Get the hands on job training / experience first. Also read the other threads on this subject. You,ve got to walk before you can run! Try a job doing work for a local housing authority for a few months, that will be a real eye opener/ shocker for you. Lasted nearly 4 years at it , will probabley take me another 4 years to recover :evil:

Yeah andy is right. The best way to get into the fault finding way of mind is to have been working on the appliances.

I was taught a golde rule which was passed from my father to me

"If you know how it should be working in the first place then you know how to fix it"

In other words spend some time looking at the different appliances and learn how they work and what the functional flow is etc and you wont go far wrong.

The courses IMHO aren't really that great.

If you dont know how it works you wont be able to fix it, its years and experiance that you learn from, not a course.

Sponsored Links
Yeah thanks guys. I work for a firm but they dont do this kind of work so I may have to look further a field Thanks again.

Try Mr Combi

I have heard good things about his courses and he goes go into using mutlimeters which would be a great start for anyone wanting to get into repairs

We all had to start somewhere

:)

I came to this lark when I was already old and grey, about the same time I discovered the internet and forums like this one. Then I was glued to the screen for days. Didn't even need chocolate.
Get yourself into the Combustion Chamber, where you'll read about pro's problems and solutions on gas appliances.

One bit of advice I can pass on is to get hold of a few boilers which have been removed, and take them to bits - completely. Don't put the part down until you know exactly what it does. If you do that with 3 different old combis you're on a good road.
Then what you really need is someone with an old dog of a combi which doesn't work properly, with a deserving owner with little money but lots of patience for you to work on it, with your manuals, multimeter and spanners. Some of them have half a dozen things contributing to their malaise. You'll go round in ever decreasing circles until you find the real problems. You may have less hair at the end, but you'll have a spring in your step. :D :D

Ok thanks, I looked at the Mr Combi course and that was the one I had in mind. I'm Learning in my NVQ3 about what the parts & what and they do so my plan was once I had an idea of the operation of the boilers I would then go on to this course to expand my understanding of them ect.

Then maybe go on a manufactures course with the knowledge I'd gained to learn more.

I know its an on going learning process but I'm coming to the end of my College and wanted to start looking into other things to broaden my scope of work.

All this good advice but you still want to go on a course!

You need practical experience of fixing boilers and NOT a classroom.

This is the problem with the modern world, people think that can learn "experience" in a classroom!

Crhis R and I probably can to some extent but most cannot!

Tony

I know that but another problem in this Modern world is employers that think about them making money and dont want to put themselves out to help other people that want to get on , I know about the hands on and classroom side of things as i've been doing both. Its alright saying try to get experience. Do you not think I've looked about, People only wanna know you when you can do the job , If your keen and want to learn alot of people dont want to take the trouble to help you as it's their time.

Thanks for you advice Though !

I"ve said it before JC182 and I'll say it again, why should Company's train operatives only for them to leave as soon as they got the paperwork.

What is needed is footballer style contracts, giving a value to each operative which can be bought and sold on the open market, thereby tying the operative to the Company for say 5years, after which he can re-negotiate the rates and conditions for the next 5years

Yeah I agree with Loyalty but I won't get the chance to do this type of work where I am and when you have been an apprentice for a company they milk it and make enough off through the process , I'm glad for the advice its just I got to think of myself and my future as well.

So advice is welcome but I'm only on here to get a few Ideas
not to cause waves.

Crhis R and I probably can to some extent but most cannot!

Tony

how do you mean Tony?

Also these courses can at least start a newbie off in the right direction

better them than nowt I say

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back