Boiler Fault Finding & Repair / sources/courses?

I agree with you Tony and given that most of the first few hours of a manufacturers training day is spent with their sales pitch, they're normally a complete waste of time!!

We've all been there; the one guy that has all the experience oozing out of him, a bit rough round the edges & a broad accent. He's the one to teach you, he's the one you'll learn something from. Then there's the 'salesman' type, spouting it out parrot fashion, the only thing he can do is send you to sleep!!!

As for Mr Combi, well as far as I can see, he's the only one doing courses like that, so more power to his elbow.....................I guess it shows how poor the mickey mouse course training centres are when they can't do anything similar!!

Sponsored Links
All this is well and good - but how many parts on average are there in most combi's:

DIVERTER VALVE & OR FLOW SWITCH
MAIN HEAT EXCHANGER
PLATE HEAT EXCHANGER / SECONDARY HEAT EXHCHAGER(A LOT OF THE TIME)
AAV
PRV
PUMP
FAN
IGNITION (HT) LEAD
ELECTRODE(S) - SPARK AND RECTIFICATION PROBES
PCB(s)
APS OR FLUE THERMISTOR
THERMISTORS/STATS
FLUE ELBOW/VENTURI
FILLING LOOP/KEY
EXPANSION VESSEL
PRESSURE GAUGE
GAS VALVE
BURNER / INJECTOR(S)
PILOT BURNER'S (SOME)

If you know how combi's work as a principle, and how each part works/what it does - you can work out a lot of faults by knowledge alone.

The boiler manual also helps with fault finding and also gives wiring diagram(s) and individual components of that boiler

i have fixed 12 boilers in the past year using this principle

Helplines and courses for Vaillant, etc help with intermittent/design/regular faults but the basic principles can be used to fault find many boilers

Seems a strange request from a qualified gasman mate, are you not working at the moment? The best way to learn how to faultfind is clearly by doing a course. You can only get basics there though.
By far you will improve your competence level by actually going out and doing it for real; make your mistakes; you'll misdiagnose etc but thats what experience is. I think if you are not actually working then approach a company and ask if you could shadow someone for experience. Dunno if they would ever let you but it is worth a try.
Good luck

Well I'm from W London and would be willing to shadow a boiler engineer in the West london area. I'd even be their slave! :)

Sponsored Links
Really good of you being "willing" to shadow a boiler engineer on his visits. You would learn a lot, I expect.

But have you considered how HE could benefit?

Worse, he risks you taking all his customer's details and mail shotting them to offer cut price servicing!

Really good of you being "willing" to shadow a boiler engineer on his visits. You would learn a lot, I expect.

But have you considered how HE could benefit?

Worse, he risks you taking all his customer's details and mail shotting them to offer cut price servicing!

That's true.... I suppose there are some people out there who are like that.

I don't know how he'd benefit..... maybe by me doing the donkey work? :)

Most fault fainding, and particularly on the 80% of combis installed, does not involve any donkeys.

Just testing with a multimeter usually and sometimes with an FGA.

Tony

Yeah I know, was just meaning if a boiler had to be swapped if unable to be repaired. I know the older ones especially are so heavy when removed.

I have used a FGA before, a TPI one. I have heard Anton/Kane are the best ones?

I have never changed a boiler just because I cannot repair it !

What I mean is if it cannot be repaired due to the parts no longer being available or it being so bad, ie ots of parts need replacing

agile most heating system i repiar require two adjustable spanner vent key and filing loop
look for leak and that is donkey work
also their no gas
no electricty
can`t work the programmer
they turned it off don`t understand why don`t get hot water
they turned the hot water stat down and don`t understand why their water not hot enough
most of that is donkey work
but must admit i do like get decent breakdown to get my teeth into
also then their is uneconomical to repair
primary heat exchanger leaked onto the pcb and thing of that grade
heatline is quite well known for this

I dont know how to suck through my teeth.

I only repair boilers. I can fix any boiler.

The only reason that I might not is if the customer does not to bear the cost or looks as if he is going to be difficult to get payment from.

Tony

seav agile probly can fix most boilers in out their as time is the best teacher the ones i listed are my most freqaunt ones from social housing and when your rushed some them get on your nerves

The ones I enjoy most are when BG have failed or refused to repair the boiler.

I did a Netaheat last week and doing a Sine 18 tomorrow.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back