Boiler Breakdown Learning/Training

Thanks ChrisR for your help

I was thinking about trying to find out common faults on particular boilers - but am not sure where to start!

This site is the best you will find for that, there are plenty of archived posts prior to the creation of the 'combustion chamber' room that will help you to learn common problems and solutions.

Sponsored Links
Thanks ChrisR for your help

I was thinking about trying to find out common faults on particular boilers - but am not sure where to start!

This site is the best you will find for that, there are plenty of archived posts prior to the creation of the 'combustion chamber' room that will help you to learn common problems and solutions.

there's so many posts I don't know where to begin! Some many boilers/models over the years

Depends what kind of installs you have had :p

I have enjoyed the breakdown experiance that I have been given. But the boilers were always Biasi and most of the faults not very exciting :(

What faults did you come across? PCB's/air pressure switch/fan faults? I once went to a job with an old engineer who I worked with a few times and the Biasi had a new PCB fitted which was also faulty! No power to the air pressure switch!

Sponsored Links
3 boiler services and a couple of breakdowns with one engineer.

Changing a diverter valve diaphragm on a Biasi Prisma and Replacing a blocked plate hex on a Biasi Riva.

And with another engineer I went to a couple of breakdowns both on Worcester's, one of which was open flued. First open flued combi I've seen so that was cool. Except the engineer didn't see the need to conduct a flue flow or spillage test on the boiler after the repair :eek:

Basically changed a pcb on the first, a Worcester 24i and changed the flame rectification harness and the spark electrode on the Worcester 24CDi.

And thats it.

My aim once ACS qualified is to try and get employed with a gas company. I'm hoping my tutor has still got a few contacts in BG, I'd love a chance to work for them, even though people slate them I think to gain experiance and further training they would be the best company to go with. Plus job security, I've been self employed since 2009 and its been horrible!

I've not replaced a heat ex before - was it one with the o-rings to seal it? fiddly?

where are you training at at the moment?

what kind if self employed work do you do?

The heat ex was alright, bit of a pain to get the allen screws out though. The Biasi doesn't leave much room to get a key in. Once the plate was remove the o-rings were still stuck on the boiler connections so just a case of fitting the new one back on gingerly.

Training at Oaklands College, St Albans. Started back in Feb, only a few weeks till I sit final assessment so I'm flicking through my Viper and Corgi book quite often lol.

Well I'm commercial/industrial based so I sub-contract mainly off the guy that taught me through my apprenticeship. But he has hardly any work going so I've been doing bits and pieces for a gas engineer I've known for years, installing boilers mainly, got one next Wednesday funny enough. And I've just started doing a bit for a builder thats a friend of my brother, first fixing and second fixing etc.

How about you, what work are you mainly doing? Did you find out how much that boiler course Gastec are doing?

yoiu can get long allen keys for removing pump heads in boilers (all different sizes, 4mm etc) - really good reach/magnetic type

I haven't found out about the gastec price yet, had a little look at the website though

Am wanting to go to the 3 baxi courses - will try and get on them within the next month or so hopefully

I do odd days helping a plumber I know and also do some repair jobs on my own

I am trying to find out a bit more about using a FGA - I've done CPA1 and can use one and have my own one though :)

Yeah you cant fit the long one on the right hand allen screw. You need a short one with a ball end to get in there. If I was doing them all the time I'd obviously be buying a long one and sticking an offset on it ;)

I've heard the baxi courses are good so I'll probably be going on those myself once qualified.

I've got a FGA as well :D I'm really pleased with my Anton as it goes, I got it cheap off GES and it came with a printer, spare filter, paper, temp clamps etc. It was my birthday present off the old man, all I get are tools for my birthday and christmas. Its quality! I know I'm sad :oops: lol.

Where did you do your training? Did it take long?

I get ya - I've got ball ends ones on a little fold down tool !

I've got a Kane 250 - got printer with it, didn't go for the flash one with all the extra add ons! Still cost a lot of money though - got 2 probes and spare filter

I did my training in west London at Acton.

It took approx 3 months

I started getting into boiler fault finding a couple of years back - just after I started learning/repairing external controls really

Wow, 3 months is quick! Was it full time? You got a good ticket as well as after a year I'm only going to be able get core, CEN1, MET1 and CPA1. I'm going to go back after a couple of months and do my cookers and fires. Get some more experiance first etc.

Its good that you started learning about fault finding a while back, as your knowledge with using a multimeter is a big plus.

So you going to just stay self employed or you thinking of getting a job with a firm?

I was going to join a gas company.... may still do so

3 months at 2 full days a week, plus my on the job training etc

But I have been working on gas - well helping out, before so knew about tightness testing/purging/burner pressures/gas rates/componenets of cookers/boilers/fires/etc / servicing etc before - it was just advanacing on it really

I've been using a multimeter for about 2 1/2 years now - taught myself at 1st and then the plumber I work with taught me some more - use it to test resistance/continuity (nuzzer mode) / voltage (dc thermocouple etc) and ac for mv's programmers etc - got a voltage testing screedriver too which comes in handy.

Taught myself a bit about boiler fault finding, lots of the theory, got dvds and a few books (viper book is quite good too) - and got hold of old boiler/CH componenets and an old boiler to test / take out and replace parts on etc

Sounds like your almost there !

I've had a browse through the fault finding section at the back of the Viper. I just don't want to bog myself down with too much and just focus on getting through the ACS first. Once thats out of the way then I'll plough full steam into the other stuff.

Let us know how the Baxi course is though mate. And if the multimeter lesson would suit a dummy like me! lol

I haven't got the main VIPER gas book, but the fault finding one they do - cost about £14 - is very good, to the point etc

I'll see when the next Baxi courses are being held - had to e-mail them!! :)

What part of London are you from? I'm from West!

I would of thought it was the same as in my main Viper book. I've got about 40+ pages in the fault finding section.

They should hold them a few times a month I would have thought. So you shouldn't have a long wait :)

I'm from North London, near Barnet, Finchley etc. Where abouts in West London? I've worked around that area a fair bit the past few months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back