Boiler Breakdowns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

What is the best way to get into boiler breakdowns? I have been working with a company for a while now doing installs bit really like fault finding on CH/HW systems and want to go into the breakdown side in the near future.

What's the best ways to learn more about boiler breakdowns ?

Sponsored Links
What manufacturer courses do u suggest ? I will apply for comb chamb but what does that help u with?

i would recommend the baxi courses
if u basic info on how boiler works
from that u get basic all so how to use multi meter
for more complex fault finding and more u know about each box the better
and combustion chamber is praivate area where you can ask more indepht question and we try and answer them or poke fun ;)

Sponsored Links
you need to really get into a company that does actual boiler fault finding.

you can't go into a custards how without the knowledge to repair their boiler, you learn that by shadowing a engineer or working for a firm who do jobs where the custard doesn't pay, housing association companys are good, money isn't great but its good experience.

the other thing to remember is that boiler manu's are offering fixed price repair cheaper than many parts on new boilers can be purchased for!

you need to be very geeky to really get into boiler fault finding, if you can't work out what the CC can offer you, it isn't a good starting point.

the ability to discuss faults and see others experience regarding faults on boilers is what the CC can offer you, that is better than any course can ever offer you !

What adlplumbing says is good, but you will need a corgi number to go on courses and join CC

i know how boilers work, the firing sequence etc - I have taken old boilers apart etc to get the fele of them and used a multi meter on them too. I would like to shadown a breakdown engineer but no company allows you to do this strangely enough!!

I'll check out the baxi course - I believe they do 3 courses?

you need to really get into a company that does actual boiler fault finding.

you can't go into a custards how without the knowledge to repair their boiler, you learn that by shadowing a engineer or working for a firm who do jobs where the custard doesn't pay, housing association companys are good, money isn't great but its good experience.

the other thing to remember is that boiler manu's are offering fixed price repair cheaper than many parts on new boilers can be purchased for!

you need to be very geeky to really get into boiler fault finding, if you can't work out what the CC can offer you, it isn't a good starting point.

the ability to discuss faults and see others experience regarding faults on boilers is what the CC can offer you, that is better than any course can ever offer you !

I get what the CC can offer you, but a lot of faults as u will know are elctrical based!

You seem to be arguing against the CC when its free and would be very helpful to anyone interested in boiler repairs.

Your reluctance to join the CC makes me suspect that you are NOT gas registered.

If that is the case then you should not be working on repairing boilers.

Tony

The CC has many experienced contributors and you can expect help with all aspects of boiler fault finding,system faults,both electrical and hydraulic and by the sound of it would be invaluable to someone like you.Get RGI'd and join.

How long does it take to get in? I singed up last night so just waiting entry!!!

What is the best way to get into boiler breakdowns?

Joining the CC

I have been working with a company for a while now doing installs bit really like fault finding on CH/HW systems and want to go into the breakdown side in the near future.

Bear in mind that it is illegal to work on boilers in your spare time unless you have your own, personal GSR number, not to mention insurance etc.

Using your boss's tools, van, materials without his written permission is a sackable offence and also leaves you open to criminal prosecution.

Not a good idea to give up your job to go solo at the moment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back