Boiler Breakdown Learning/Training

Sponsored Links
Already had quite a few lessons with Tony (Agile).

Now he chooses to not answer my phone calls? :confused:

Jake - what's the best way to become Gas Safe Registeredon your own? I have ACS qualifications - CCN1, CEN1, CPA1, CKR1, HTR1 and WAT1, also a FOundation certificate and portfolio.

I was hoping to work with a company and be put on their gas safe, but wanted to learn a bit more aboit breakdown first.

If you are ACS qualified then all you do is register with Gas Safe :confused:
Dunno how much it costs though mate.

Sponsored Links
It's £400+ mate, but you are on a 3 month probation period. Am I'm not sure what that would entail? I don't do installs so am not sure if service/cp12/repairs would be acceptable in probation period?

It's £400+ mate, but you are on a 3 month probation period. Am I'm not sure what that would entail?

Means that a Gas Safe inspector will visit you and check out your portfolio. I think he'll ask you some questons as well. CP12's and servicing should be fine, he might ask to visit some of the jobs. So you don't do installs? You not from a plumbing/heating background I take it?

Yeah I've heard the Baxi courses are good as well. Did you enquire about the training centre in Milton Keynes (Gastec) ? They have working boilers that you can work on etc, it looks good on the website.

Oh and Baxi do their courses in Romford as well as Dartford.

Yeah I have done plumbing - and boiler installs, but not on my own. I enjoy and like to do fault finding/repair on my own.

I've been doing plumbing/heating repairs for a good few years, from ball valves to siphons to trvs to prgrammers to mv's to stats to leaks etc.

I know they have a Romford base, jus thought they only did the 3 boiler courses/electric training at Dartford?

I will have a look atg the Milton Keynes (Gastec) training now

I thought you had to be doing installs for the inspectors to look at? I'll have to have another look at the gas safe website now.

On the boiler breakdown side I've studied for a couple of years books and dvds, doje a bit on my gas training, taken old boiler components apart and an old boiler, tested parts on/removed-replaced etc. I really want to get better at breakdown

Ah I'm the opposite then. I'd be happy to do boiler installs on my own except for the wiring, I served an apprenticeship, heating and vent NVQ etc.

I've done some fault finding and repairs but under supervision. Electrics for me is a hard subject so I'd be happy to go on just a multimeter course tbh :oops:

I think their Romford base covers everything as well, although not 100% sure.

I think all the guys say on here that the best way to get better at breakdowns is experiance. So get on the good courses, know how to use a multimeter and then its all about experiance.

I think a job with a company like BG would be good to gain that experiance.

Jake - do you know the cost of the combi 2 day course at Gastec?

Don't get me wrong, I can swap a boiler - did my mums recently, swapped old Potterton and converted system to sealed. I just prefer doing repairs/breakdowns. Wiring's ok - on the boiler I fitted it had a pump overrun so needed another perm live to it which I did ok.

Nah mate think you have to give them a ring.

Each to their own, I still prefer installs :D

Depends what kind of installs you have had :p

I have enjoyed the breakdown experiance that I have been given. But the boilers were always Biasi and most of the faults not very exciting :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back