Boiler Breakdown Learning/Training

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a very good website, and I've been searching it for a while now this morning.

I enjoy doing plumbing repairs and fault finding, and am trying to learn about boiler breakdown. I've leanred a lot over the past 2 years about boilers and their components, fault finding sequences etc.

As well as studying a few good boiler fault finding books, and dvds, I've looked at old boiler components such as PCB's, thermistors - wet and dry pocket, fans, air presure switches, pumps, gas valves, ignition/rectification probes/leads, pressure gauge/capillary tubes, prv's, expansion vessels, flow switches, etc, and got hold of an old boiler which I tested parts in and took out/replaced to get the feel of it.

What I'm trying to work out is where to go next? Are there any good courses I could attened about specific boilers which would help me tpo learn more, or is there anything else I could do?

I work casually with a plumber, but he doesn't do actual boiler breakdowns, just external controls such as motorised valves, programmers, stats, pumps, valves.

Thanks for any help offered,

Best wishes

Steven J James

Sponsored Links
You dont say anything about getting Gas registered which is the first requirement of working on boilers.

Tony

Sponsored Links
will any boiler manufacturer courses help me? I've seen the BAXI, VAILLANT, GLOW WORM, RAVENHEAT ones advertised and a Mr COmbi general combi boiler fault finding course advertised.

Thanks for any help given all

Sorry, Stephen. I don't think you'll find a lot of help forthcoming. It should be pointless, as without being GS registered you're not allowed to work on them

I'm not gas safe registered on my own at the moment but may be by the end of the year. I want to learn about boiler breakdown as I really am interested and have seen jobs advertised and want to learn as much as I can before applying.

takes years an years to learn repairs mate. just learn how to use a multimeter first and how electrics work first

Sounds like you're far enough on, that general courses and sources won't help you more. Mr Combis is awfully basic, or did I mean basically awful ( ;) ).
You could do half a dozen manufacturers' courses, though they tend to talk about their latest and greatest, and aren't so much help with faults on older designs where the boilers are covered in crud and half a dozen things aren't working like new. Intermittent ones are a complete pain.
You have to "glean"! Try to find out the typical common faults (websites like this) and when you're in front of a puzzler, call the tech help lines and be prepared to be treated between a nuisance and an idiot. SOME of them are good, Some take ages so call say mid afternoon, and try again until you get a different "expert" the other end of the line.
What you do have to build in to your business, is getting it wrong sometimes. That can be expensive at first.

Thanks ChrisR for your help

I was thinking about trying to find out common faults on particular boilers - but am not sure where to start!

Yeah I'm kinda in the same boat. I take my final assessment next month but am wanting to learn more about fault finding on boilers. So far I've found out Baxi apparently do a good course/s and there is a gas training place in Milton Keynes (www.gastectraining.co.uk) but I don't know if their fault finding course is any good or not.

I originally thought if I just worked unpaid with a boiler breakdown engineer on a regular basis I wouldn't need to attend a course. But it just doesn't happen I'm afraid. The engineers don't want the hassle or they havn't got enough work, which is fair enough.

But its all pointless if your not GSR! That should be your most important aim imho.

You could always try the Agile school of training? he has patroni... sorry taught many men over the years'

Ive done a few courses and I stilll say the best one for learning stuff is Ravenheat.
Just book yourself on them all. You can never learn too much.

Enquire at trade outlets and try to be there and take an interest when reps are coming to visit.

The best one for hospitality I found so far is Worcester oil somewhere near Chesterfield [Danesmoor], After a factory visit they paid for a meal, a night out, a hotel with breakfast and go-kart racing. Obviously that one wasnt easy to get on. I just fell in lucky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back