Boiler Fault FInding and Repair query (from an old un)!

tony, a SUNDIAL? have you got one outside your air raid shelter? ;)

Sponsored Links
seco services - I am learning to drive now too!! Half way through near enough. Im 28 years old but still haven't got a licence :oops: I put it down to a bad experience or 2!

I really want to learn about boiler's more, will definetely ask about gas training at the job centre. Even if I had to pay for it out of my savings I'd be willing to.

so you should. do you expect the tax payer to pay for that!!

One thing I am slightly confused about, is after learning about boilers and fault finding from the book and dvd's, some posts on here about boilers, still seem confusing when I read them. For example, some boilers seem to have strange names for parts. Is this just the manufacturer's technical name/design for certain parts? Obviously I don't have the boiler manual to study/look at and am just looking out of interest.
If you want to study boiler manuals you can download the installation & servicing instructions from just about all of the boiler manufacturers sites for free :)

Yes the one by Reginald....to a beginner it may seem thorough but take it from me it's just a starting point. It's a while since I read it but from memory there were gaping holes all over the place when it came to diagnostics and endless repetition through the book.

Get yourself a good grounding in electronics for starters...this is where it's all going. Subscribe to the manuals library and read everything. Buy old boilers and rip them apart. It takes a long long time to be competent...I've been doing it years but there are plenty of faults that are still a nightmare to diagnose. The jobs getting harder all the time...more complexity in boilers, manufacturers instructions less detailed and full of mistakes, virtually no competent technical backup, nightmare design, extortionate parts prices etc etc.

Thanks for your advice I appreciate it.

How/where do you suggest I get a good grounding in electronics? ANy good sources?

I have a few old boiler manuals and will download what I can and look at them. What's the best parts to look for, the fault finding section at the back or other parts as well. The operating sequence part I suspect would be a good start for each boiler to help assist the fault finding?

Where can you buy old boilers? Maybe just give a few local gas safe engineers a call and ask them if they have any old ones they want to get rid of?

Sponsored Links
Harold look at the recent posts from engineers in Bristol where I have asked if they can save some old boilers for you and contact them through their profile.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back