Combi Boiler with UFH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So many of these what boiler questions, this is not quite that....

I want an oil combi for various reasons, now the issue is sizing. To get a somewhat decent 22L / min DHW I need a large 28Kw to 33Kw boiler. Now with a whole house of UFH I dont need anything near that. So I am struggling to find if say a Grant 28Kw will modulate down. How do I find this information?

Cheers
Will

Sponsored Links
Yes it's impossible to find a house that need a fixed amount of heat on every heating day so every central heating system can modulate.
Can modulate the burner power, the burner on/off, and presumably you'll have a thermostat on the ufh zone with boiler interlock.

Understand that, problem is will it modulate down enough to closer to 10Kw. I don't seem to be able to find this info.

They won't modulate. Just switch off. This if the inherent problem with oil combis. Have you space for a buffee vessel?

Hedging said that, my brother tube his Grant oil boiler with Evohome, and not had any Ill affects yet.

Sponsored Links
Didn't spot you said oil, but my point was purely that even a thermostat is a form of PWM iee pulse width modulation, so you needn't match your heating load to the burner output.

It's a tank that acts as a buffer between the system and the boiler. Your installer should work out how big it needs to be based on the desired burn time and output of the boiler.

A great store can be anything you want it to be including a buffer. Not a plate heat exchanger to the side and it can do your hot water too. I have one in the workshop that is 300 litres, with a 100kw plate heat exchanger on the site that can in theory give 30+ lites a minute. I had it at home for a while to do some experiments. Took it out in favour of a small unvented once if finished " playing".

It's looking for a new home ;)

Ahh I see. The principle is all the same try and get a volume of water upto temp with as little cycles as possible, as each cycle wastes a bit of oil.

I wonder what your wee 300L would cost to get shipped up here :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back