combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a house with a Baxi combi boiler but water is not coming out of the hot tap which has an isolator valve attached. Any ideas what the problem may be.

Sponsored Links
Just the 1 hot tap, or all the hot taps ???

Need more info.

Dave.

Is the isolator valve open?
Is the boiler firing up?
Is the cold feed to the combi open?
Pete

Sponsored Links
Fluffster said:
Is the isolator valve open?
Is the boiler firing up?
Is the cold feed to the combi open?
Pete

Dear Pete

The Isolator valve is open (I assume you mean the one on the hot tap)

The boiler is firing up because the central heating is working perfectly

I will get somebody to check the cold feed to the boiler because I am not sure where it is.

Very many thanks for your help.

Mary

Hi Mary
The cold feed valve will be on a 15mm pipe under the boiler usually has a blue tap on it, yellow for gas or may even have a slot for a driver to open and close.
The heating circuit is seperate to the hot water so open a hot tap and see if it calls for heat.
Pete

Mary it's a little hard because you need to try and be more specific.

What it appears so far is that there is no water flowing through the boiler at all, proven by trying every hot tap, and nothing comes out no cold water no hot water. Right?

Then you must first find out which is the cold pipe supplying the boiler. Often there is a steel braid flexible pipe (filling loop) just under the boiler, one end on this pipe the other on the central heating return pipe which should be the larger of the two. The smaller pipe is your cold feed. Trace it up into the boiler. Now there should be a brass union at this point, with some method of isolating and controlling flow. This is what we think is shut. It might be a screwdriver slot that should be turned until it is in line with the pipe to open it. It could be a black or blue nob which you turn anticlockwise to open it just the same way as you turn a tap on. As it is upside down you need a certain spcaial imagination to invert your thinking and turn it the correct way. Flip it over in your head and picture it as a tap. If you can't think like that turn it to the middle position, you will then have flow at least.

There may be a filter just before or after this union or a littler deeper inside the boiler. This may be blocked, you would have to be capable of isolating the cold feed to the boiler to deal with this (follow above instructions back to front). Then you would need a suitable tool to undo the nuts at the various stages starting with the one on entry to the boiler, break open the joint/s one by one until you find a little plastic disk with pathetic little holes in it. Throw it away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back