combi gas boiler exhaust

• Thread starter davybuckley
  • Start date
D

davybuckley

After 9 years of having our combi gas boiler serviced and maintained by British Gas , we have suddenly been told that the exhaust is too close to a window , and that we should not use it ! Does anyone know the regulations pertaining to established boiler exhausts ?
Thank You ,
Dave.

Sponsored Links
Well, you have not told us the boiler make and model !

If its a fanned flue then there should be a clear 300 mm spacing for most models but they do vary.

Its a difficult decision as to whether to classify it as At Risk and turn it off ( with your permission ! ) or just Not to Current Standards !

Tony

Maybe it is an idea to contact BG management high up, and ask them to explain to you how they can send engineers out to you for 8 years who are apparently not capable of identifying a situation that is so bad you can not use the boiler.
Do you have a contract for an annual safety check (most likely) or has the boiler really been serviced every year (this takes the best part of an hour for most boilers)
If you can give me the exact make and model of the boiler, I can tell you the precise requirements for flueing and ventilation.

"""Thank you Agile,the combi is a Vokera Maxin 24e ,I hope that will help you to say whether the exhaust, which is 300mm from the sealed window ,is alright"""

As far as I can remember thats a standard fanned flue boiler with a concentric flue system.

In that case then it would need 300 mm between the window brickwork opening and the nearest part of the flue.

Tell us exactly what the measurement is and we will debate if its AR or just NCS.

Posting a photo would also help.

Tony

Sponsored Links
In that case then it would need 300 mm between the window brickwork opening and the nearest part of the flue.

Its 300mm to an openable window.

Its 150mm to the opening into the building fabric

as far as im aware its ntcs, unless its causing a problem, if its causing a problem then it could even be i/d if fumes are entering building. Manufactures instruction do say 300mm from opening horizontally but they have added it at the end of flue terminal location requirements, so i could see how an installer could miss this 8 years ago. I would say ntcs, a/r seems a bit harsh if its causing no probs. But hey, im positive someone will disagree

Its 300mm to an openable window.

Its 150mm to the opening into the building fabric

Evidently things are different in Columbia !

aIn addition, #for temperature and structural reasons$ the terminal should not be nearer than 150 mm (fanned draught) or 300 mm (natural draught) to an opening in the building fabric formed for the purpose of accommodating a built-in element such as a window frame (see Figure C.2). Separation distances are linked to the rated heat inputs as shown.
bThis dimension may be reduced to 75 mm for appliances of up to 5 kW heat input.
cThe reference to external corners does not apply to building protrusions not exceeding 450 mm, such as disused chimneys on external walls for: fanned draught appliances; natural draught appliances not exceeding a net input of 7 kW; any other appliances if detailed in the manufacturer’s instructions.

taken straight from the notes at the bottom of chart C1 in BS5440 pt1 re flue clearances
I THINK this is to capture guys who change a window but don't seal it until later, or who do not seal the window properly therefore creating a gap which POC's could get in, but perhaps under normal use and good working practice won't happen, but as we know the regs have been written/amended as a result of somethiing that has happened or may happen,

The CORGI explanation to changing the definition to the brick window opening rather than just an opening window was because when Everest replace the window they may change to parts which open.

Tony

Basic mi`s overule and you cannot second guess what may happen in future. Otherwise window vents would not be allowed in case windows get changed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back