Combi-microwave 3400w - 3-core flex to Cooker Point ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

My new combi-microwave 3400w has a 1.5mm flexi-cable. How should this be connected to a cooker point supplied by a 10mm cabled dedicated circuit (45 amp breaker)?

Can I use the normal cooker outlet plate to connect?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Martin

Sponsored Links
What if anything does the manual for the combi microwave say about overcurrent protection?

Is there a socket on the cooker switch?

In general unless I had specific info from the manufacturer (in the manual or otherwise) saying it was ok I would not be happy connecting an appliance that small directly to a circuit with overcurrent protection that high.

3400W is unusual.

It it a domestic model designed for the UK market?

I agree, usually 3.6KW and run off a dedicated 16A radial circuit.

The instructions are a wonderful thing. You could reveal the maker and model if there's nothing specific written.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies the model is AEG MCC3880E-m . My old microwave used a 13a fused spur - dont know the rating - now at the tip!

I assumed that this spur was no good and I would need somehow to use the standard cooker connection that has no 13amp socket but would a 13amp socket provide a solution (Plugwash)? The existing cooker socket (45 amp) already has 6.4kw hob connected.

Running a dedicated circuit would be difficult - no spare CU slots, kitchen almost complete etc..(Taylortwocities)

How should the microwave circuit be protected if run from the existing cooker point?

The instructions if you can call them that:

The oven is equipped with a power cable and plug for single phase current.

There is no plug on cable!!!

The only other information is :

Warning: the oven must be earthed and if permanently connected should be connected to an all-pole circuit breaker with a minimum seperation of 3mm.

In the technical spec it has:

Power required: 3400w
Grill Power : 1500w
Hot air power: 1500w
Microwave output: 1000w

Have added picture of how I would like it wired. Can anyone point out problems.

//www.diynot.com/network/martin2527/albums/1263/6961

Cheers

Martin :D

bascally you need a 16 amp mcb and you can run a 4mm t & e cable to a 20 amp DP switch.
it may be a pain to have to do this but its the correct way

bascally you need a 16 amp mcb and you can run a 4mm t & e cable to a 20 amp DP switch.
it may be a pain to have to do this but its the correct way

Correct way to use 4mm? On what basis?
An installation method wasn't mentioned, nor was thermal insulation.

Is it possible to re-jig the circuit a bit? Is the cooker feed 10mm²? Can the cable supply 45A given the installation conditions?

You could fit a 2 way CU on the end of the cooker feed then run a 32A circuit from this for the hob & a 16A one for the Mic.

Your total load would be around 42.5A.

Warning: the oven must be earthed and if permanently connected should be connected to an all-pole circuit breaker with a minimum seperation of 3mm.

Reading this I think it means a double pole MCB. Is the cooker feed 10mm²? Can the cable supply 45A given the installation conditions? Is the cable enclosed in any thermal insulation etc.

You could fit a 4 way CU on the end of the cooker feed then run a 32A circuit from this for the hob and a 16A double pole MCB for the microwave. I would run the 16A MCB to a 20A switch above the worktop then to a flex outlet plate.

Or, of course, in the country where the product designers live most people would simply unplug the 16A rated Schuko plug which connects the appliance via 16A rated 1.5mm² flex to one of the 16A radial circuits which everybody in that country has.... ;)

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Will be going the 4-way CU route.

Cheers

Martin

Or, of course, in the country where the product designers live most people would simply unplug the 16A rated Schuko plug which connects the appliance via 16A rated 1.5mm² flex to one of the 16A radial circuits which everybody in that country has.... ;)

Why couldn't a 16 Amp radial circuit be installed in that manner in this country, using, say, ceeform plugs?

I imagine Schuko plugs would not be acceptable as they have the limitation of no polarization, so they could be connected either way round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back