wiring new cooker and microwave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have a new electric oven and separate combi microwave oven i want to install. i have got a 10mm cable with a 30amp breaker already there in my kicthen. manufacturer says i need 2 separate 16amp feeds. could i run both ovens off the same cable. ie 10mm cable to cooker switch then 10mm cable to outlet plate, then 2 cables from outlet plate to ovens.

Sponsored Links
could i run both ovens off the same cable.
Yes, but not directly as you suggest.

You need 2 x 16A supplies for the appliances - you need to get an electrician to install a small CU after, or instead of, the existing cooker switch with 2 x 16A breakers in it.

What size (kw) is your microwave?
While you can connect some microwaves to the power source permanetly the majority of domestic based units are more than covered by a 13amp fused plug.
Some manufacturers print one set of instructions for Europe and forget that we operate on a fused plug basis. I would be suprised if you needed to permanently wire this microwave - As I cannot believe the microwave power would exceed 2.9kw. Just plug it in to your socket circuit and connect the oven to its own cooker circuit.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back