combi or not to combi?

Sponsored Links
sorry your post doesnt make any sense you can have an open vented combi system, a combi heats your water instantaneously, do you mean you have a stored HW system ?

combi vs cylinder (avoid combi's)
sealed vs vented hot water
sealed vs vented heating

or a mixture of the last two...

Thank u for your reply. I'm new to this forum stuff. I seek advise as to whether I should replace my boiler with a heat only replacement or move to cambi system and loose storage tank etc?

Sponsored Links
Hello Alec1, thanks for advice, Have u a preference to not having a h/w tank, I have received conflicting advice about changing to a combi system. I have a newish h/w tank and have recently had a new h/w control valve fitted, it just that I'm looking to reduce my heating costs, and my pesnt boiler is 16yrs old Baxi.

I have stored hot water and like being able to turn the immersion on for hot water backup. Also if there is a power cut, my shower stays warm. I've never liked the idea of a power cut in the shower with a combi.

I have stored hot water and like being able to turn the immersion on for hot water backup. Also if there is a power cut, my shower stays warm. I've never liked the idea of a power cut in the shower with a combi.

How long do you spend in the shower that a power cut is a major factor, I have had one power cut in 23 years at my house, and that was because a third party hit a cable in our village

combis are ok for one bedroom flats with one person, but not much else..

system boilers are much more reliable because they fire much less than combis.

everytime you open a hot tap the combi goes to high fire! but a system boiler does that may be four-six times a day... ok a cylinder looses heat but you don't have to and shouldn't be reheating it 24/7..

I guess that when you look at it statistically, it's not a great problem. But it gives me some comfort every time I take a shower.

Edit: I was responding to ianmcd, but the posts crossed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back