Combi Question

How is she turning the heating off?

Heating is being left off at the minute Dan, until we sort this noise out. I think that when it's been really cold she has just switched it on manually for a bit and then off again. I just thought that nothing in a combi boiler was active unless you ran a hot tap or wanted heating on, but that sounds like it might not be the case with a pre-heat function, but doesn't look like this one has that anyway.

I'll get her to speak to her landlord (who I have just found out is a gas engineer), but just thought I may have been able to help.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
how long does the noise last ? or is it constant ?

The humming is continuous as long as the boiler is 'on' mode and it is not called upon to heat water or central heating. Then it is of course drowned out

the boiler makes a noise before you draw hot water (as soon as the main boiler switch is moved from the off to the on position

This is a slightly conflicting comment Zambo. Does the boiler make a noise when you turn on a tap, or does it make a noise when the boiler is switched on - in which case, why isn't the boiler being left on all the time.

And what sort of noise is it that we're supposed to be diagnosing.

I think the problem may well be in the way that your daughter is using the boiler; it should be left ON all the time, with the heating coming on from the timer dial. Obviously, in the summer, you'd switch the heating control off, and the boiler would then be sitting there waiting for the taps to be opened. It's possible that the noise you hear when it's switched on is the pump running ready for the heating to come on.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a slightly conflicting comment Zambo. Does the boiler make a noise when you turn on a tap, or does it make a noise when the boiler is switched on - in which case, why isn't the boiler being left on all the time.

And what sort of noise is it that we're supposed to be diagnosing.

I think the problem may well be in the way that your daughter is using the boiler; it should be left ON all the time, with the heating coming on from the timer dial. Obviously, in the summer, you'd switch the heating control off, and the boiler would then be sitting there waiting for the taps to be opened. It's possible that the noise you hear when it's switched on is the pump running ready for the heating to come on.

This is the problem Doggit. Because the boiler makes a noise, and because (and I know this is a bad place to locate a boiler) it's in my granddaughter's bedroom, she only puts it on when she needs hot water or heating. This wasn't a big problem in the summer, but now it's getting colder it's a pain to keep turning it off and on. As soon as you flick the on switch it starts to hum and it continues to hum. I guess that is a noise you could get used to, but in her previous house the boiler remained silent when on, until called into service.

As per my comment on your previous thread, it could be the fan running continuously by design. If that's the case, a new fan *may* cure it if the current one is noisy, or the alternative would be a replacement boiler. Could be the pump though, or even a gas valve solenoid, hard to say without being in front of it

Interestingly, a lot of the posts on here have been removed.

I wonder if the toys will stay in the pram this time?

I would prefer it if you stayed off the thread. I started a new one, but the mods merged it back with this one, and deleted some posts, which gave it a new chance of surviving.

All I'm interested in is getting this issue resolved. I don't want to read stuff like 'we are still waiting' when I haven't responded to a question you have raised fast enough for you, or be abused by being called numbnuts when called out. It's all really rather immature and tiresome.

'we are still waiting'

We were still waiting. I was pointing this out. Hopefully to give you a nudge.

a question you have raised fast enough for you

I don't care how fast you respond. It is your daughter being inconvenienced. My heating works perfectly thanks.

being called numbnuts when called out

Act like a numbnuts, get called a numbnuts. We're here trying to help you. if you go off in a strop after being asked perfectly normal questions that' up to you.

Last edited:
Mods, please close this thread down. I will seek help from other sources.

One source of a hum could be a mains transformer in the power supply to the control circuits. While a transformer should be silent in operation it is not unknown for them to hum slightly due to the magnetic field inducing vibration in something in or near the transformer. In a bedroom this hum would be far more noticable than in a kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back