Combi Question

Indeed - it would be nice if daughter could post a video to You Tube of the noise.

Noise descriptions are very ambiguous and open to interpretation. I've been to several houses of forum members looking at problems described on here only to find the descriptions, whilst not inaccurate, was leading the forum down the wrong avenue completely.

Sponsored Links
He's still Mr Angry, isn't he? And everyone else is to blame, too.

What happened to you deleting your account?

I suspect you need to get the landlord in to have a look at the boiler. The problem is that because he's not independent, he may consider the boiler to be fine, whereas someone else would query it.

As Bernard says, it could be a vibration problem, but is it only the noise that you're worried about it being in your grand daughters room that's disturbing her, or are there other concerns.

One source of a hum could be a mains transformer in the power supply to the control circuits. While a transformer should be silent in operation it is not unknown for them to hum slightly due to the magnetic field inducing vibration in something in or near the transformer. In a bedroom this hum would be far more noticable than in a kitchen.

Have you forgotten Bernard that the mains transformers themselves can hum as well!

Hum in nearby parts is usually mechanically transferred rather than induced by the magnetic field. In most transformers the magnetic field is well contained within the core.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Have you forgotten Bernard that the mains transformers themselves can hum as well!

I said that, or at least inferred it when I said something in the transformer might be vibrating. Loosely packed laminations or a loose bobbin are the most common sources of hum. Loosely laid windings will hum as wires vibrate but the vibration here can abraid the insulation on the wires which results in shorted turns, overheating and early failure of the transformer

Last edited:
Interestingly, a lot of the posts on here have been removed.
probably zambo complaining to the mods but he seems to have issues, but he does not do himself any favours or lacks people skills :)

I find his picture a bit scary, especially with Halloween coming up ........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back