Combi to heat garage

Sponsored Links
No, an unvented cylinder is a hot water tank that works off of mains pressure, so gives a good flow of water. As the house will be running at the same time as the garage, it begs the question of extending the house's heating and hot water into the garage, rather than a new cheap system in the garage.

Want a cheap boiler ? when your ready to buy have a look at the current offers.

City plumbing are always worth a look. Heatline 24kw combi inc flue £399 + vat.

As mentioned they are cheap for a reason :idea:

Have you got planning permission for the garage conversion,it's not always straight forward.Mind you nothing is straight forward with my council :censored:
Want a cheap boiler ? when your ready to buy have a look at the current offers.

City plumbing are always worth a look. Heatline 24kw combi inc flue £399 + vat.

As mentioned they are cheap for a reason :idea:

Have you got planning permission for the garage conversion,it's not always straight forward.Mind you nothing is straight forward with my council :censored:
That's v cheap - but 'they are cheap for a reason' what is the reason? is it because they are under-powered or because they are unreliable? under-powered isn't an issue with two small rads and a couple of taps. Unreliable would be a pain.

(I have spoken with the council btw, they said no planning permission required)

Sponsored Links
As already said insulate the garage to reduce the heat loss.

A long shot but could the existing boiler cope with the extra load of a couple of radiators in the "salon" and a small hot water cylinder ? Running flow and return pipes ( DIY ) may be kess expensive than running a gas supply to the "salon" ( GasSafe installer )

And as Old&Cold mentioned. Getting planning permission sorted out before investing too much money.

Yes, insulation is added - its a single brick structure, built to a decent standard (the pitched roof is better than our house!), stud walls with a cavity and celotex in walls, floor and ceiling.

RE running heating feed/return out there. That was my original plan and definitely preferred but I mentioned that to the builder who was doing some work in the house. He said best to just run cold out there and use elec heating. I'm not convinced that's true, the run to the garage is half the distance it is to the lounge or front bedroom. My main concern would then be insulating the pipes for the two foot or so it need to travel outside. Can you get overhead insulated trunking (I guess a bit like they use on external a/c units)? I dont really want to bury the pipes.

No, an unvented cylinder is a hot water tank that works off of mains pressure, so gives a good flow of water. As the house will be running at the same time as the garage, it begs the question of extending the house's heating and hot water into the garage, rather than a new cheap system in the garage.
Agreed, that's definitely my preferred solution but concerned about frozen pipes on the short outside run.

[QUOTE="Agreed, that's definitely my preferred solution but concerned about frozen pipes on the short outside run.[/QUOTE]
Have a look at Armaflex Tuffcoat pipe insulation - on t'net;)

I know a few hairdressers with a unvented cylinder and electric heating and much less hassle with new boiler and costs and these hairdressers are busy also . The cost of a new boiler, installation to me is a no brainier especially just for a start up buisness when you already have an adequate heating in the house

Always best to run the ancillary radiator off the main producer. A pal of mine is a horticulturalist and has a mahoosive glasshouse heated by a big coal-fired boiler. When he built his house he installed underfloor heating and took flow and return pipes the 75 yards from the boiler house to the house, which is heated by the giant boiler at very little extra cost to the business.

Is this a single chair set up or is she considering partnership/rent a chair? Have you contacted the local planning dept, change of use permission etc? Don't overlook it, your local competition who pay a lot of rent will report you. I'd go with an air conditioning unit with external fixture to both heat and cool the salon due to its size, There are also plenty of instant electric hot water systems that will meet the demands.

She's probably going to do not more than 6-8 appointments a day, so I really wouldn't worry about long term savings.

That's excellent advice; a split AC will give a nice atmosphere in summer espeially if you don't insulate the garage so well.

That's v cheap - but 'they are cheap for a reason' what is the reason? is it because they are under-powered or because they are unreliable? under-powered isn't an issue with two small rads and a couple of taps. Unreliable would be a pain.

(I have spoken with the council btw, they said no planning permission required)
It's because they're cheaply built from plastic & rubber, with short warranties and lower performance parameters.

The Ravenheat HE98S would probably be your best bet from a good cost/performance balance point of view. About £600+vat including flue, with a five year warranty and all metal internals. Pretty sure they'd honour the warranty in a single chair salon as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back