combination water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please, can anyone help me!!

My combination water cylinder is slightly leaking around the thermostat. I called a plumber out and he said that because these cylinders have internal cylinders and it is leaking and I need a whole new cylinder. i'm no plumber could it be that the seal around the thermostat is leaking and these cylinders don't have an internal cylinder????

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like either your plumber or you is mixing up combination with primatic, which do have a kind of cylinder inside, and which can be difficult to drain and refill. By combination do you mean a cylinder having a cold feed tank on top? Can you describe the cylinder, including anything written on it?

chrishutt said:
Sounds like either your plumber or you is mixing up combination with primatic, which do have a kind of cylinder inside, and which can be difficult to drain and refill. By combination do you mean a cylinder having a cold feed tank on top? Can you describe the cylinder, including anything written on it?

Thankyou for your reply.

There's nothing written on it, I can only describe it as tall about 3 and a half foot then another little bit on top which is about 1 foot with a lid. Lots of pipes and mains fed. Sorry i cant be more specific !!

OK, that's a combination cylinder. Your plumber is talking excrement. He probably can't be arsed to drain the cylinder down to repair the leak. It's not an easy job, even for the professionals, so I'm not too surprised.

If you do a search on some key words (immersion heater for example) you should find some threads describing in detail how to go about changing the immersion heater (which is similar to what you need to do) in case you are considering doing it yourself.

Sponsored Links
chrishutt said:
OK, that's a combination cylinder. Your plumber is talking excrement. He probably can't be a***d to drain the cylinder down to repair the leak. It's not an easy job, even for the professionals, so I'm not too surprised.

If you do a search on some key words (immersion heater for example) you should find some threads describing in detail how to go about changing the immersion heater (which is similar to what you need to do) in case you are considering doing it yourself.

Many thanks for your time and reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back