Combining 2 consumer units..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello esteemed experts,

I am converting a house which has been split into 2 flats, back into a single family home and I'd like to unify the two power supplies into one - to give me a single consumer unit on the ground floor. I've no intention of doing this myself so I'd really like to get an idea of how much work is involved and how much this should cost. Is this fairly straightforward or a complex expensive job?

The downstairs flat is just one bedroom, and upstairs is a 4 bed maisonette.

Many thanks in advance,
Josh

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid only your electrician will be able to give you a definitive answer.
There are too many variables to be able to tell you how much etc

You say two power supplies.

Is that a fact or are you just saying that because there are two consumer units?

If it has, in the past, been altered to make an independent flat it may be very simple to reverse.

I am converting a house which has been split into 2 flats, back into a single family home and I'd like to unify the two power supplies into one - to give me a single consumer unit on the ground floor. I've no intention of doing this myself so I'd really like to get an idea of how much work is involved and how much this should cost. Is this fairly straightforward or a complex expensive job? The downstairs flat is just one bedroom, and upstairs is a 4 bed maisonette.
As others have said, it's really impossible to say much useful without seeing the situation. As EFLI has implied, if the present situation is the result of a previous modification, it's conceivable that reversing that would be straightforward - although I rather doubt it.

It sounds as if the 'upstairs' is much more extensive than the ground floor, in which case creating a situation in which the only CU was on the ground floor would probably require extending or replacing a lot of upstairs circuits - is there a specific reason why you want the single CU to be downstairs - it might be simpler and cheaper to have it upstairs (less circuits to extend or replace). Indeed, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with retaining the present situation, with two CUs - is there a specific reason (other than 'tidiness') why you want a single one? If the main problem is that the two 'supplies' are currently separately metered, that could probably be remedied fairly simply, without changing anything else.

You really have no alternative other than to get an electrician or three to examine the situation and advise/quote.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
its much easier to keep two CU's and get an electrican to put them onto the same meter if that is the aim.

its much easier to keep two CU's and get an electrican to put them onto the same meter if that is the aim.
Indeed so.
there's nothing fundamentally wrong with retaining the present situation, with two CUs - is there a specific reason (other than 'tidiness') why you want a single one? If the main problem is that the two 'supplies' are currently separately metered, that could probably be remedied fairly simply, without changing anything else.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back