Combustion Chamber Forum

Has this had a positive or negative effect on the advice given on the Plumbing/Central heating forum

• Positive

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Negative

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • No change

Votes: 15 30.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can feel the throb of jealousy running through my vains as I write this I suppose my thirst for knowledge got the better of my judgement this time. Good luck with the new forum guys.

You are missing nothing!!

Just more Sh$te in a different place ;)

Sponsored Links
A few years ago now the D32/D33 were ceased and replaced with an "Assessors Award".

If you have a current ( within five years ) CCN1 you might possibly be able to persuade the site owner to let you have access but if you are not working on gas its unlikely you will find it very interesting.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yep they were. D32 et al are now combined and called A1 i.e. The Assessor Award. I have that too.

My CCN1 etc were awarded in Jan 2005 so I am still 'valid'. I might just have a look... nosey git that I am :)

Thanks Tony,

Sean.

I have just put a poll and a topic on electrics UK regarding the site having a similar type of forum to the "Combustion Chamber". Here and here. Has the Combustion Chamber had a positive or negative effect on the advice given on the Plumbing/Central Heating forum?

The combustion chamber was not set up to improve the advice given in the plumbing & heating forum, it was set up to allow installers to discuss gas issues that the public should not see, purely to stop them from trying to dabble with parts on their boiler that may get discussed, surely proffessionals have the right to swap tips etc on gas matters without involving the general public, gas should not be carried out by DIYers, note that I said should as RGI's we should comply with this Philosophy.

Sponsored Links
I see no reason why trainees shouldn't have access to the CC. Any suggestions how admission to could be organised for people without a corgi number?
We could prepare a set of a dozen questions (maybe modified from the current ACS), such that anyone who got them right was serious about his gas!
Off top of my head:

1) What do you do after "stabilisation"?
2) describe two FFD's which each contain two dissimilar metals?
3) why could a case seal leak be dangerous on a negative case pressure boiler?
4) What could you do with a flue with leaking feathers?
5) When do you do a RIDDOR?
6) What's the BS on pellets?
7) What's Sulphide?
8] When might you have to measure sox and nox?
9) What drop is allowed: E6, 1¼" barrel, old flat with old carcass, no smell of gas, new boiiler?
10) What's blocked if a flame's lifting off?
11) Flue/vent problems aside, what boilers can you not put in a basement?
12) What do you do in the bathroom before doing a spillage test?

Should sort them out > :evil:
On second thoughts, some of the ACS candidates I see wouldn't get many of those :eek:

Yeah ok you passed.
Copy these "proper" answers on to that sheet and sign it...
(you'll need to buy a black pen off us, 25p)

3) why could a case seal leak be dangerous on a negative case pressure boiler?

4) What could you do with a flue with leaking feathers?

I would have to be guessing on the answers for Q3 above.

As far as "leaking feathers" in Q4 are concerned, even Google only comes up with 10 answers and none of them are in relation to flues! Perhaps you meant "mid-feathers" in a chimney?

Tony

I don't know the answer to question 3, but feathers are the brick built seperators inside chimneys, and you would use a chimney liner or get a big balloon thing stuck down and filled with cement or summing.

Q3 is probably expecting an answer based on a blocked flue outlet which would cause CO production within the boiler due to insufficient combustion air and some of that could leak out because the "negative" pressure had ceased when the outlet port was blocked.

Tony

One concern put across about setting up a private electricians forum similar to the concept of the combustion chamber was it will kill the forum. I was just wondering if this is true of the CC and the Plumbing/Central heating forum.

How many of those questions do I need to answer to get into the CC? I can answer one of them :LOL:

(RIDDOR = Reporting of injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrence regulations, reportable stuff).

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I think the CC has had little effect on the plumbing forum.

The topics discussed in the CC are mostly trade related like insurance, trade associations and the interpretation of gas regulations.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back