Oil boiler leaking water into combustion chamber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I noticed a leak on the outside of the boiler, I took the front cover off and there was water in the tray at the bottom. I switched everything off ie. oil supply and electrical supply (I saw how the boiler man did it) and then took the burner out. There is lots of water inside the combustion chamber leaking out onto the floor. I syphoned(spelling mistake?) the water out into a bucket, it was very rusty water (which I got a mouthful of!) and left it for an hour. The water is still coming into the chamber but very slowly. I went to bed and checked it out this morning. The water level has gone up but not a lot. I'm no expert but I don't think there is supposed to be water in the combustion chamber ? I think it may be time for a new boiler. Does that sound right ? I appreciate any advice.

I don't have a backup system at the moment. I did have the electrician run a cord up to the water cylinder, but it still requires the immersion heater to be put into the cylinder. Is this a big job ? Do I need to drain the cylinder to put an immersion heater in ?

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
Your post asks for advice on your boiler but you missed out an important piece of information - I'm going to assume its a Worcester and the water is leaking from a spot weld near the flue outlet.

Anyway, if water is leaking into the combustion chamber the boiler is finished. This is good news as we all need more work at the moment.

Yes, you will need to drain part of the cylinder before fitting an immersion.

THe Heat Exchanger has failed, depending on the make, model and age, you may be able to get a new heat exchanger otherwise it is new boiler time please post back with the make & model and serial number (if known) of your boiler for further advice ;)

thanks guys for the replies.

It's a Perrymatic Jetstreme MK III
Model : Jet 50/70
Serial : 65549
Code : AC-34-91
Fuel Class C or D

The guy who serviced it last said it was an oldie but a goodie (Hmmmm).

I think it's 15 years old.

I also think it's time for a new boiler :cry:

I think our system is described as Indirect Cylinder Vented.

Any recommendations for a new boiler ? Unfortunately I didn't win the lottery last night so I think a boiler replacement is the only option ie. I can't afford to rip out the whole thing and re-install a better system.

Thanks again for you invaluable advice

BTW would I qualify for the scappage scheme ?

Cheers
Dave

Sponsored Links
Perrymatic went out of business a long time ago, so its new boiler time, the oil boiler of choice would be a Grant Vortex 15/21 utillity, your system may require a little updating to be compataible with a condensing boiler and to comply with Building regulations part L1 ;)

The scrappage scheme in England has now ended, so I'm afraid there's no chance of you qualifying for it

I would agree that the Grant is a good choice, also the Worcester Camray, which some installers can offer a 5yr warranty on.

You also have the option of an external wall hung or floor standing boiler, if you so desire........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back